Not open for further replies.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
i have purchased all mine from either at a swap meet or on modelroundup.com Last i heard the website doesnt exist anymore,but they sure had tons apon tons of new old and used models and supplies there

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
Blake442 said:
I love model cars, but rather than building the 1/24 scale kits, I'm more partial to the pre-assembled 1/18 scale die-casts, and then I take them apart and modify them.
I used to occupy the long winter months while the real cars were in storage by messing around with the models.
Been a while since I bought any though. I've got over 60 of them, so I really don't need any more...
I should probably thin the herd a bit too.

I should put some pics up of some of the ones I've modified...
The best one is a Caprice squad car that I re-did to look just like my Caprice. It turned out awesome.

post em up! :popcorn:

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
That would be an excellant way to choose a color combination for a project. To paint a model the way you want to paint your real project to see what it will look like :mrgreen:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The Caprice model is the only one I took pictures of. You can see a couple of the others in the background.
I'll have to snap some of them when I feel motivated.

Well here's what I started with... A 1/18th scale '96 Caprice 9C1 made by UT.
31736610008_large.jpg

Here's what I was going for, My '96 Caprice Classic...
31736610012_large.jpg

Here's the end result...
31736610004_large.jpg

I completely dissassembled the car to paint it, filled the holes in the roof for the siren, and added the trim around the windows and bottoms of the doors with bare metal foil. I even blacked out the center of the grille like I did on the real car.
The paint is the same Dark Cherry Metallic.
31736610009_large.jpg

Dual exhaust and more detailed engine were swapped from my '96 Impala SS model also made by UT, so the parts were a direct swap.
31736610010_large.jpg

The car had the incorrect '91-'93 dash in it, so I swapped the one from the Impala model I had already cannibalized.
The interior color isn't perfect, but it's close enough for me.
31736610011_large.jpg

I built this in 5-10 minute intervals snuck inbetween actual work over the course of 3 days at work. Total there's about 2 or so hours in it. Not bad, huh? 8)

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
Thats pretty sweet, looks like a Caprice my mom had with the special "SS" rear 1/4 window, CHECK OUT THE HURST/OLDS 455 IN THE BACKGROUND!!

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
damn,modelroundup will be selling a 66 impala ss model,i think i'm gonna get back in the hobby because of a couple of those models,new 72 442 too!I have been trying over the years to make a crappy resin kit of a 66 imp look good and it required so much work that i quit on them (bought two and in the thrash they whent).

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
heres some of mine. nothing to great. me and my dad did this dodge stealth when i was little
normal_dodge_stealth.JPG

i made this co2 racer in high school for a class. did pretty good with it to. its carved out of one piece of balsa wood
normal_co2_car.JPG

i built this impala ss when i was going to school at wyotech. had to completely re do the fender wells, i stole the wheels of a metal bodied mustang
normal_impala_ss.JPG

normal_inside_impala_ss.JPG

this is a model my dad did when he was little. i found it in a box missing pieces so i used wheels off of a crappy semi model and dropped it
normal_dodge_model.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor