Modernized

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDMitch32

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 15, 2013
Take a Late '70's early to mid 80's car with a decent body and interior, preferably rear drive, and update it with new powertrain and suspension. Cheaper than most of the smallest and cheapest coming from The Big Three. Easier to take care of yourself and you'll be recycling to boot. Obviously some will be in better shape than others because of who had these cars new. For the most part the Montie SS's will be worse off than say a Grand Prix LS for the simple reason that "Grown-ups" bought the GP, Regal(non GN,GNX OR T-Type) Cutlass Supreme, where as the Montie was more for the Hot Rodder. Same for the Wagons which were cut short because of the Mini-Van. These bodies are ripe for restification and honestly I don't think the A-Bodies (Caprice, IF YOU CAN FIND ONE, BonnieS, Deltas and Buick's version) are that far behind. After all, most of the cars sold today are More Doors. Ford and Chrysler embraced the front runners early, so there isn't that large of a selection from them. The Aftermarket is swamped with crate systems that would make these cars perform to today's standards for far less than a NEW car. I won't even mention the ride difference.
I posted this idea as an opinion after reading an article about the new stuff coming from Detroit or rather their designs, not gonna go there. Anyway, I got nothing but HAMMERED! People were telling me that it's not a viable option. REALLY? If that is true then how come the Aftermarket is the only industry that took the smallest hit when the economy tanked? I know we lost some shops and companies but overall they weathered the storm the better than others. I know most of us rarely use the cars we build for Daily Drivers but we are Modernizing these cars never the less. Even if we go back stock, the way stuff is made today, as far as engines, trannies and suspensions go, is WAY better than what came on these cars when new. The biggest draw back that I could figure was the fact that most of us can't finance a "restification" over 5 years. Tell me what you guys think. I know that when my Wagon comes home she will be my Daily Driver. Or at least what I drive when I'm not on the bike. That's why I got her and that's what I'll use her for since the only time I really go anywhere is to pay bills and run errands.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
If I could do a full restoration on both my Cutlass and Turbo T I'd want to go full out on the Cutlass and just modernize the Computer on the Buick.

I'd say to make these better then a new car you need to redo everything. Brand new suspension, brand new motor maybe something from the LS series and at least a 4 speed transmission. I'd love to drive these cars everyday but lets face it they are a target to get stolen.. And they just draw to much attention. I know I enjoy my Buick and Cutlass but for some reason I'm always worried when I have it out. But if I take out my 2002 century I have no worries. These cars are ment for the weekends now. And considering to make this car brand new you would at least need 25 000$$$ Lets put it this way If I won the lottery I'd have a Gbody for everyday of the week fully rebuilt.

Poncho61

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2013
Peoria Illinois
I'll just start my post by saying I'm Pontiac to the bone as far as engine choice. Even tho Pontiac used, ahem, corporate engines for the last 34 years, I'm still set on using engines 35 years or older, so that leaves out anything vortec, LS, etc. I don't have any issues with modernizing by way of aftermarket fuel injection systems to bolt onto a Pontiac design engine. I'm all for better brakes, better suspension, overdrive transmissions, etc, so if thats part of your question, yes. Modernize. LOL

By the way, I do own newer vehicles that came with corporate engines or other brands with their engines intact. Most are my daily driver, wife daily driver, kid daily driver vehicles. I have a 91 and a 93 Firebird that will both one day move with something other than the corporate engine under the hood, but hopefully will have the fuel injection system, just because I'm getting spoiled by the newer stuff that runs great without a choke warm up period. My older stuff, 67 GTO, 68 Firebird, 74 Trans Am will remain carburated. As will the GP in my avatar.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I feel like only the base models should get modernized treatment & its kind of a downgrade to destroy the originality of the carb'd v8's.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
pencero said:
I feel like only the base models should get modernized treatment & its kind of a downgrade to destroy the originality of the carb'd v8's.

that's the beauty of aftermarket modernization, most of the mordern efi setups that poncho was mentioning are just bolt-ons. about the only thing you're destroying is making a hole in the exhaust for an o2 sensor, and the rest is easily replaceable back to original carb setups.

me? mine may be nowhere original, but I do love my carb.... dependable efi is good for the daily driver and the wife's car! :wink:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Probelm is most of those aftermarket EFI systems are not designed to be smog legal, no provisions for controlling EGR or EVAP. Every US car after 1980 are computer controlled and would already have a O2 sensor bung installed in the stock exhaust. Of course many rip out the computer and stock exhaust. Most LS retrofits I have seen are not legal since the LS's emission system are usually delete. Even the LS EFI is often removed for a carb, rendering the swap illegal. Though GM does sell the LS3 E rod crate engines that comes with everything needed to make a LS retrofit legal.

Except for the 23 deg heads, LS motors have no advantage that can't also be used in a Gen 1 Chevy V8. Even the 23 deg heads do not offer much of an advantage.

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
Clone TIE Pilot said:
Probelm is most of those aftermarket EFI systems are not designed to be smog legal, no provisions for controlling EGR or EVAP. Every US car after 1980 are computer controlled and would already have a O2 sensor bung installed in the stock exhaust. Of course many rip out the computer and stock exhaust. Most LS retrofits I have seen are not legal since the LS's emission system are usually delete. Even the LS EFI is often removed for a carb, rendering the swap illegal. Though GM does sell the LS3 E rod crate engines that comes with everything needed to make a LS retrofit legal.

Except for the 23 deg heads, LS motors have no advantage that can't also be used in a Gen 1 Chevy V8. Even the 23 deg heads do not offer much of an advantage.
Not everyone is in California or a smog state

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
83cutlassowner said:
Clone TIE Pilot said:

Not everyone is in California or a smog state

Yet. Never know when a state decides to crack down on some new issuse to gain votes. Just because your car may be extempt from inspection doesn't make it extempt from obeying laws or protect you if they crack down on enforcement.

However it is not impossible to do a legal LS swap, just harder and a little more money and a whole donor car with shop manuals. This link show a complete legal LS swap into a 3rd gen F body. http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ltx-lsx/560316-91-camaro-ls1-swap.html

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Clone TIE Pilot said:

My '81 Malibu did not have a computer or O2. And the Gen 1 Small block uses 23 degreee heads. And stock vs. stock the (15 degree?) heads of the LSx engines walk all over Gen 1 heads.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I'm curious to know if any newer cars have similar dimensions & could be adapted onto a g-body frame. I'm sure a bunch of members on here have frames that will just rust out but we could convert some really gay stupid looking car to rwd w/ it lol that would be a really funny project sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor