Monte Carlo 4.3 T-Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Has anyone seen a Monte Carlo 4.3 T-Top car in awhile? I used to see these on ebay occasionally but its been a real long time. I'd like to acquire one of these rare pieces if it was in nice shape.

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
I have never seen one period. But I have always wanted to get a doner t-top from a ss and weld it in.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Bowiemontecarlo86 said:
I have never seen one period. But I have always wanted to get a doner t-top from a ss and weld it in.

Yeah they're probably have all been hacked up and put on 78" rims by now. As far as welding in T-Tops, I heard that wouldn't work because the T-Top cars were reinforced to handle the torque on body and frame.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
The T top cars don't have any additional bracing, that is an old rumor. They do flex more but you have to remeber these are full frame cars, the rumor is because of F body cars with T tops and they have subframes that will cause a lot more flex.
On a T top car if you weld in a panel behind the rear seat it will eliminate a lot of flex preventing the cracking in the quarter panels.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
81Regal said:
The T top cars don't have any additional bracing, that is an old rumor. They do flex more but you have to remeber these are full frame cars, the rumor is because of F body cars with T tops and they have subframes that will cause a lot more flex.
On a T top car if you weld in a panel behind the rear seat it will eliminate a lot of flex preventing the cracking in the quarter panels.

Yeah the source I heard that from wasn't reliable. In fact the guy said the rear roof and quarter panel area was reinforced with lead :rofl:

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Lead is to soft a material to reinforce anything. But where the roof section meets the rear quarter there is a body seem. Dunno if its filled in with lead or body filler from factory.

RynoC23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2012
Florida
Here's mine...'85 4.3 T-Top car. Won't be a 4.3 car for too much longer though! Bought it from it's first owner.

Attachments

• latest.jpg
    latest.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 753

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
RynoC23 said:
Here's mine...'85 4.3 T-Top car. Won't be a 4.3 car for too much longer though! Bought it from it's first owner.

F*ck. Bought my 4.3 from the original owner too. Dude, just sell me that car and buy a SS t-top car.

RynoC23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2012
Florida
I've had a SS and a couple SC/CLs. Some reason I just prefer the nose of the SC a bit more. I'm a bench seat guy too & tough to find a bench seat SS although I would definitely get one if I could. The driver side of this one was KO'd when I got it from the original owner. Insurance was only going to give him $553. So I offered $800 (he was asking $1600 lol! no way!!!). The day I went and looked at it it was already on a hook heading to the crusher. The owner was just about in tears when I trailered it away. Scooped the '85 up for $800, and found an '86 for parts that a kid wrapped around a pole running from the cops for $250 (no drivetrain)...the kids girlfriend was sitting in the passenger seat, got out & ran from them after the wreck!!! Cowl hood for $295 and the Rallys with BFs I already had. Sold those hideous aluminum checkered board wheels on Craigslist for $85 bucks lol and that is where I'm at now. Good ole backyard project!

Attachments

• latest.jpg
    latest.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 663
  • Green Prime.jpg
    Green Prime.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 658
  • wreck.jpg
    wreck.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 642
  • Monte Wreck.jpg
    Monte Wreck.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 657

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Ryno, the car looks like it turned put pretty nice. Just curious, but did you ever take it back to show the original owner after it was finished? It would probably put a smile on his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor