Monte Carlo Chassis Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamRyder1963

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2014
Let me start off by explaining what I am doing. I am putting a 1963 Corvair on a 84ish Monte Carlo chassis. It is still in the planning stages and as such I am trying to gather info on the chassis. The end goal is an LS powered rear drive pro-touring car. I chose the Monte Carlo chassis because of its realitively low cost, aviabity and the fact that it already has a 108" wheelbase. I am whating to make a very well handling chassis and would like advice on the best parts for the job. I already plan of running 17x8 wheels with 245/55r17 rubber. I appricate the help.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
DreamRyder1963, sounds like a cool project you're planning. Are you planning to "channel" the Corvair over the G-Body frame to get the lowered look will keeping full suspension travel for the handling?
Oh, welcome to a great site!
Doug

DreamRyder1963

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2014
I am planning on channeling the floor to get it over the frame. I hate the look of a ones that are just sitting on top. It makes it look a mile high. I would like to keep the full suspension travel. I am already planning on installing works style over-fenders to get the maximam space for tires.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I read your post and wondered how you are going to drop a corvair body on a 108" wheelbase. My favorite recycling yard had a corvair which was a new addition. It was in great shape and I took a good look at it. When I read your post I had to look up the wheelbase and was surprised it's 108" for the corvair, It sure didn't look like it. That is going to be an interesting project and I'm interested how the engine is going to fit inside the trunk area

DreamRyder1963

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2014
The trunks are surprisingly huge. A small block should fit no problem. It has been done several times, but there only a handful of EM Corvairs that have been done well in this manner.

DreamRyder1963

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2014
Here is the car as it sits now and a sketch of how it will look when its done.

Attachments

• Dream Ryder 2.0.jpg
    Dream Ryder 2.0.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 937
  • IMAG0098.jpg
    IMAG0098.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 996

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
That's really a pretty cool idea. Ive never been a fan of corvairs in general, but ingenuity makes me appreciate it more. good luck with project, keep us posted with progress.

I was curious as to what one looked like that had been converted over, and theres several listed under "rear engine corvair" on youtube.com

heres one for a looksy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiCzUQnHMOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqMyrShimJc

mac61891

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2013
West Central IL
I think this is a really cool idea. I have seen some really neat mid-engine corvairs that seemed to handle like supercars. A front engine one will be new to me, but very interested in seeing it.

DreamRyder1963

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2014
It should be a fun project. What are the best ways to get a Monte Carlo chassis to handle well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor