Monte SS Computer Removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

morgend

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
So i've read a bit into bypassing the computer from my 85 SS and switching to a carburetor and vacuum advance distributor. I'm sure someone has done this change before, just was wondering what components i should be shopping for. Anyone got any savvy shopping tips? Let me know. I've got the rebuilt 305... unfortunately, and the vacuum lines. I ripped the AC out, putting in a new radiator, and the motor more or less just needs assembly before i toss it back in.

I have the 650 cfm carb, 305 intake manifold for normal c.i. - and with the exception of valve covers and the pulleys i'm salvaging from the dead engine.

Mostly just concerned about the distributor, tv cable , and lock-up kit.

I would search more, but at this point, i'm completely lost, ha. I build 80's Toyota 4 cylinders, so Pat Sajak -- can I buy a clue please?

What all is required to actually keep my H.O. running? The vacuum lines are ugly, and we don't have emissions laws in my part of the country.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Get a Quadrajet from a 1976+ non computer 305 car, light truck or full size van. A 350 carb would probably work too. You also need a non computer HEI distributor from a 1975 and newer Chevy V8 powered car, truck, or van. Then you can hook everything up the same as it was on the computer version without having the computer present. This is how my 350 is set up on my Cutlass. It permits use of the proper geometry for the TV cable as well. All you need to add in terms of vacuum lines is to run one line from the front of the carb ( ported vacuum) to the distributor. You also need the check valve in the vacuum line for the HVAC controls and you will need the vacuum fitting in the back of the manifold to run the HVAC controls. You also need to run the 3/8 vacuum line from the back of the carb to the brake booster. As for the 650 carb, if it is a Holley 650 double pumper I would not use it on the 305. The Quadrajet is more efficient and will produce better low RPM torque than the square flange carb. You failed to mention which carb you have, so I am assuming it is the Holley. If it is not, please post what it is as aftermarket carbs require some changes in how things hook up as compared to the stock style Quadrajet. IMHO, a Quadrajet is the best carb to use in every application save for a dedicated drag car or a car running faster than the 11's in the 1/4.

morgend

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
unfortunately it's a holley. If i could get away using my stock intake manifold, i'm down for that. I'm really trying to weigh out options, and i'm limited on the funds seeing that this thing is my current daily driver. Thus the 305. Hah. Thanks for the help man. Do you have pictures of your set up any where? I tried doing a quick search, but didnt turn anything up.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
My Myspace ( link in sig) has plenty of pics in it, about 40 of the car in total. You can't use the Quadrajet intake with a square flange Holley carb without one of those crappy adapter spacers. It's cheaper to just find a good Quadrajet in the junkyard than to buy a new intake for the carb, and about the same money for the spacer as the Quadrajet ( mine cost me $25).

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you can keep the stock EST distributor and use the computer for timing without the carb. i'm still using it on my 383 and it runs great. otherwise get the $90.00 HEI vacuum advance distributor from summit. to retain lockup without the computer get the kit from bowtie overdrives. it comes with everything you will need and is much cheaper than anyone else.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The one wire that fires the coil ( white plug, pink or red wire IIRC) is on the main harness and not the computer harness. The computer harness has the ESC plug for the computer distributor, but you do not need it to run a non computer HEI. Likewise, the white wire for a tach on cars so equipped is on the main harness and not the computer harness. For a HEI, you can get the cheap Summit one, but by the time you do any upgrades to the coil, module, cap/rotor, etc. you are better off in my opinion starting with the MSD HEI. I plan to switch to it in the future as I like it's stock appearing coil and better mechanical advance. I think it also has the adjustable vacuum advance too.

morgend

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
The one wire that fires the coil ( white plug, pink or red wire IIRC) is on the main harness and not the computer harness. The computer harness has the ESC plug for the computer distributor, but you do not need it to run a non computer HEI. Likewise, the white wire for a tach on cars so equipped is on the main harness and not the computer harness. For a HEI, you can get the cheap Summit one, but by the time you do any upgrades to the coil, module, cap/rotor, etc. you are better off in my opinion starting with the MSD HEI. I plan to switch to it in the future as I like it's stock appearing coil and better mechanical advance. I think it also has the adjustable vacuum advance too.

with that in mind... what all needs to be kept in terms of wiring running into the engine bay from the computer? I'm keeping the 2004r... Got the lockup, running a manual choke for now... got my tv setup installed.. but im just trying to get those ugly wires out.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
none! they basically used the standard wiring harness for the main engine stuff. the ecm got an aditional harness that is connected to the fuse panel but that's it. oh and the vss sensor on the speedo.

morgend

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
so everything attached to the computer that doesnt go up into the dash --- gone, correct? just verifying, because im not sure if was getting conflicting information. hah. once again, trying to avoid hangups.

easterwabbit

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2006
IL
some EST ESC HEi did have vacuum advance on them but were still 7 wire ones, without mechanical advance

although much more uncommon than the ones withou the vacuum advance

1980 and up was ESC/EST

sure it may run with the ESC EST HEi on it and a non electronic controlled q jet but i would swap a 79 older one on regardless you can find a perfectly good HEI for dirt cheap off any car or truck with a SBC in it or BBC, both are the same HEI physically

the heavier pickups and vans 3/4 ton and up also were non ESC/EST

code L and M 350 HD engines

common as dirt all throiugh the 70s and 80s

i have owned many

good donors as well for non computer SBC parts and engines

code M was HD emissions, no cat converter, no ECM, no anything except TCC

transmission controlled spark
a relay mounted on the valve cover
it was a timing control module relay, threaded stud on the valve cover, see these all the time

you say you build toyota 4 cyl engines hehe

i have an 88 toyota xtracab pickup 22RE-C

its my reliable but severely rusted out little beater 143k miles work truck haha

never once been stranded, keeps on going with its dead TPS and dead ECM temp switch for the cold start fuel injector lol

and strong too

lockup wiring kit you will have ot go aftermarket on that or toggle switch it for now

the TV cable will connect to virtualyl any Q jet carb, most have the cable stud on them, especially from '75 on up

if it doesnt then dont use it

tv cables usually will pop on to the same stud that the th350 kick cables slid onto

almost always

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor