Monte ss duct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Would the monte ss cooling duct that goes in front of the radiator to the nose work on my cutlass. Would it increase cooling and has anyone done it and if so what mods did you have to do
Screenshot_20230611-173538_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230611-173453_eBay.jpg
20230611_173659.jpg

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
What year cutlass?

The only reason for that piece was the tiny Monte grill. And for God’s sake, don’t stuff anything extra in front of the radiator with that thing. Best thing I ever did for cooling was taking that thing off and installing a chin spoiler.

Are you having a cooling system problem?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
What year cutlass?

The only reason for that piece was the tiny Monte grill. And for God’s sake, don’t stuff anything extra in front of the radiator with that thing. Best thing I ever did for cooling was taking that thing off and installing a chin spoiler.

I'd imagine the Monte grille has to be bigger than the euro cutlass one, even after accounting for the two tiny bumper holes. Has me curious to measure the two someday now that you get me thinking about it, doesn't it?

Because the Monte SS was a Nascar driven creation, would that box (which only half of is in the picture) have paid better dividends at high high speeds?

I figure since the subject is raised, might as well open the convo on an area I have no clue about.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
No i have no cooling problems. Just thought gm put these on the "performance" models for a reason.

Since the ss and grand national both have something similar i wondered if it would do anything on a 84 cutlass. I never really thought about the ss nose not having a regular grill for airflow. Where my car is all open

I had never seen one of these until this weekend and started googling it trying to learn its purpose

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
No i have no cooling problems. Just thought gm put these on the "performance" models for a reason.

Since the ss and grand national both have something similar i wondered if it would do anything on a 84 cutlass. I never really thought about the ss nose not having a regular grill for airflow. Where my car is all open

I had never seen one of these until this weekend and started googling it trying to learn its purpose
The only thing the GN has, and, the reason for it is the 1986/1987 turbocharged cars needed an inlet scoop to force air for the intercooler to work to cool the air charge for the turbo application. Other than that, 84/85 cars didn't get it.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
So i guess this is not a good upgrade to add to a car thats not having cooling problems.

I thought it might be some hidden gem that would be worth chasing.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I don't know if you'd see a difference but the idea makes sense, funneling air through the radiator, not having it all open. I modified one to install on my LS years ago when I was getting AC hooked back up I wanted to maximize air flow over the condenser and had one laying around. I can't imagine removing it hurts cooling or how, but not sure it's a big difference either way.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
What year cutlass?

Not trying to highjack this thread but I’ll ask anyway; How bad were your cooling issues when you had something in front of the radiator?
The reason I ask is I stuffed a sizeable transmission cooler in there.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Not trying to highjack this thread but I’ll ask anyway; How bad were your cooling issues when you had something in front of the radiator?
The reason I ask is I stuffed a sizeable transmission cooler in there.
Why exactly did you put in there.

I dropped IAT’s 30-40 degrees when I removed the duct and factory core support.

That setup, I believe, had a lot of factory engineering to cool a 305 with a condenser and radiator in there. The front of my intercooler was 5-6” in front of the radiator. At the time I was making triple the HP of the original 305……..so maybe I should hold back on my comments haha.

I’d say don’t make a lot of modifications (shrug).

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Why exactly did you put in there.

I dropped IAT’s 30-40 degrees when I removed the duct and factory core support.

That setup, I believe, had a lot of factory engineering to cool a 305 with a condenser and radiator in there. The front of my intercooler was 5-6” in front of the radiator. At the time I was making triple the HP of the original 305……..so maybe I should hold back on my comments haha.

I’d say don’t make a lot of modifications (shrug).
Thought it was a good spot for it, it’s in direct airflow at speed, at less risk of damage from debris, and I just typically put coolers in front of the radiator, call it a bad habit.

It’s only on the driver’s side, and in front of the core support without a AC condenser. My radiator is a dual pass unit, running Intrepid fans. Probably only making 400hp below sea level.

If that tunnel is barely adequate for 305, I might just move that cooler to the passenger side under the headlight bucket….

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor