Monte SS ECM interchangeability

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Has anyone here ever tried to swap ECMs on the mid '80s Monte SS from one year to another? If so, did it work? The GM parts book shows different part numbers for different years, and I'm wondering what the difference is.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if i remember correctly the wiring is different. what year do you have?

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
Yes it will work, you can even use the chip from the 88(with the 88 Computor)

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I ran the factory LG4 305 emissions and computer on my 85 Cutlass when I initially did the engine swap to the 355. I had the stock LG4 85 computer at first, but later swapped to one from a L69 305/5 speed 1984 Z/28 that had a better chip in it ( it was lying around the garage) and it worked just fine despite being from a manual Camaro! As far as I know, there are differences in the computers between years relative to the processor speed, but it seems to me that they will interchange so long as the PROM chip is correct for the application and it has the same pin outs. I have even heard somewhere that a 2.8 V6 MPI ECU is the same as a 350 TPI ECU with the exception of the PROM chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor