Monte SS steering box

Status
Not open for further replies.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I know this has been brought up before, but after searching and reading threads on the subject I still have a few questions. I'm pretty sure I need a new steering box for my 83 Grand Prix and am considering swapping in a 1986 Monte Carlo SS box. Here are my questions:
1: Will my original pitman arm work
2: Is the power steering pump upgrade necessary
3: Will the power steering lines screw on (are they the same size)
4: Are there any other issues that need to be addressed

Thanks

78_oldcruiser

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2010
Seven Springs NC
this may help you out http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... ure21.html this is the list of quick ratio boxes but it seems that 82 up uses the same hose end sizes so shouldnt have no problem using you pump with the new box. my pump works normal with the box swap. as far as pitman arm when i went with a mc box in my cutlass i had no problems with my pitman arm. when changing the box drop it from the bottom of the car and you wont have to remove the pump, you will need to drop the 2 braces under the car and the sway bar to be able to drop the box. just remove the 2 bolts to the braces at the front of the car and loosen the back 2 and swing them out so you can drop the sway bar, unbolt the sway bar mounts to drop it(you dont need to remove it, just drop the center) and then you are good to go.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
My malibu needed the pitman arm as my stock one was one hundredths smaller than a monte arm. Not sure what size the Grand Prix arm is and if you can use it. My power steering hoses mounted right up no problem.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
78_oldcruiser said:
this may help you out http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... ure21.html this is the list of quick ratio boxes but it seems that 82 up uses the same hose end sizes so shouldnt have no problem using you pump with the new box. my pump works normal with the box swap. as far as pitman arm when i went with a mc box in my cutlass i had no problems with my pitman arm. when changing the box drop it from the bottom of the car and you wont have to remove the pump, you will need to drop the 2 braces under the car and the sway bar to be able to drop the box. just remove the 2 bolts to the braces at the front of the car and loosen the back 2 and swing them out so you can drop the sway bar, unbolt the sway bar mounts to drop it(you dont need to remove it, just drop the center) and then you are good to go.
Thanks for the link, that helps out.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
patmckinneyracing said:
My malibu needed the pitman arm as my stock one was one hundredths smaller than a monte arm. Not sure what size the Grand Prix arm is and if you can use it. My power steering hoses mounted right up no problem.

I know, I read your post when I was searching the topic, that's why I asked.

Here's another question, what's the significance of the 3-bolt cover on the top of the box and the 4-bolt cover? When I look up stock replacement for my Grand Prix, it lists both. I checked my car and it has the 4-bolt cover.

Thanks

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
No idea on that one. I've never seen a 3 bolt cover, just the 4 bolt and round top cover. The monte ss one your looking for is a 4 bolt cover. Be sure to check if you get one from the parts store.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
patmckinneyracing said:
No idea on that one. I've never seen a 3 bolt cover, just the 4 bolt and round top cover. The monte ss one your looking for is a 4 bolt cover. Be sure to check if you get one from the parts store.

That's what I meant, round cover and 4-bolt cover. The one in my car right now has th4 4-bolt cover. When I look up the part for an 83 Grand Prix, both are listed.

Thanks

78_oldcruiser

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2010
Seven Springs NC
does it look like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAZ-27-6530/?rtype=10
if so its the square. what they are talking about with the 3 bolt and the 4 bolt are the bolts that mount to the frame not the cover bolts. yours should be the 3 bolt. look under on the outside of the frame by the front tire. there will either be 4 bolt heads or 3 bolt heads going throught the frame

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
78_oldcruiser said:
does it look like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAZ-27-6530/?rtype=10
if so its the square. what they are talking about with the 3 bolt and the 4 bolt are the bolts that mount to the frame not the cover bolts. yours should be the 3 bolt. look under on the outside of the frame by the front tire. there will either be 4 bolt heads or 3 bolt heads going throught the frame

Oh...... got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor