Motor mount bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Im trying to get the small block back in my g body. Im using Energy Suspension motor mounts. The right side bracket that came on my block originally had a "captured" or "caged" nut so you wouldnt have a hard time getting it on with the fuel pump on. Me like an idiot cut that off because I wanted to use an electric pump. Now that Im using a mechanical pump I picked up another bracket at the local yard that had the "caged" nut. The problem is the nut is 7/16 and a 7/16 bolt is on the small side for the hole through the Energy mount. Its also small for the hole in the block bracket. Anyone know if GM made a metric setup like that ? A 1/2 bolt looks good in the bracket but it wont go through the Energy mount unless I drill the hole out. This makes me think its a metric bolt one size larger than 7/16. If GM had a metric bracket like that what cars would have it ? Thanks

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
58 people looked at this post and not one reply with info ? Come on guys, help me out here. At least give me an idea of what car to look for.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Did you get the bolt from the same car you got the mount from?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If I'm not mistaken I used 7/16 bolts with no problem. I used the serrated flange head bolts and nuts so it makes it easier to tighten them down. Metric bolts are way too expensive for what they do

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
81Regal said:
Did you get the bolt from the same car you got the mount from?

No I didnt. The motor was out of the car. As soon as I found a motor with that style bracket or tower I took it off thinking it was exactly that same as what I had. I didnt think GM would make it with different size nuts. I have bolts that will work if I have no other options. Theyre grade 8 bolts and theyre 7/16. Like I said they will work but theyre sloppy in the mount and the bracket. Im going back to the yard Tuesday to see if the guys got any other small blocks in the heap of motors hes got there. For all I know theyre the right size bolts and thats the way its supposed to be but it just seems like theyre a little on the small side.

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
My SBC is a 1997 Vortec and the bolts are 10MM coarse thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor