MSD Ignition. Whats all needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zone_4_Lanlord

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2010
Philadelphia, Mississippi
So i want to install a MSD ignition box, I already have a MSD distributor. What else is needed, and what ignition box do i need. I really don't care about rev limiters, i just want the best performance. Help me out.

laman1982

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2011
phoenix az
it depends on what you want and your setup too ? but i have a 6al box dis.spark plugs and blaster coil and its bad *ss ! lol im pushing just under 400 hp . but heres a vid that might help you out .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT2clNrxOuM :D

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
I had used mine for about 3000 miles, then parked the car for 7 years in a dry climate controlled garage. When I took the car out of storage, it wouldn't start. I tested the box and it was dead. Not very reliable, IMO . . .

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I also agree with these guys. The MSD box is unreliable. Perhaps for a race car they're okay, but for a daily driven car I wouldn't recommend one. I had an MSD 6A in my car several years ago. It ran fine with it, but after awhile I heard a whirling sound coming from under the hood. The noise was coming from the box. Well one day I was driving and the car starting stalling. It restarted and crapped out again. Finally..nothing. Fortunately I was only a mile or two from home.
I removed the MSD box and went back to using a stock type module. Since then I replaced the distributor with a high output coil and module. It's been running great ever since. That was 10-11 yrs ago.

Oh, and I had a new replacement that I decided I wasn't going to use. I ended up selling it instead.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
What kind of distributor do you have? Is it already set up for an MSD box, or does it have a module in it? If it has a module, just stick with that and forget the box. It will be better than stock, it'll give your engine all the spark it need, and will be a lot more reliable.

I put one in a street car a few years ago. Ran it for 2 years, summer and winter. Didn't have any problem with it. But for the cost and hassle of installing it, I can say it wasn't worth it. Yes I noticed a very slight mileage gain, and it ran smoother. But couldn't feel any real difference in power. Also, I have changed out many 20+ year old stock modules for cheap new factory replacements. And they gave the same effect as putting the 6-AL did.

But if you have one of those MSD distributors that's designed for a box. Then all you really need is to buy the box and a coil. But I would keep your stock distributor and some tools in your trunk if you go this route. Just in case it craps out.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Phoenyx said:
What kind of distributor do you have? Is it already set up for an MSD box, or does it have a module in it? If it has a module, just stick with that and forget the box.

I agree. If the engine doesn't "need" it don't use it. Stock HEI's are good distributors, especially when combined with a a good module and coil. As for reliability, I must have good luck(knocks on wood). Mine has been used for over 10 years with at least 4 years of daily driving and was used when I got it. I did have a problem with it getting hot and shutting down when it was mounted under the hood, but after moving it inside of the car, no more problems.

Zone_4_Lanlord

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2010
Philadelphia, Mississippi
Phoenyx said:
What kind of distributor do you have? Is it already set up for an MSD box, or does it have a module in it? If it has a module, just stick with that and forget the box. It will be better than stock, it'll give your engine all the spark it need, and will be a lot more reliable.

I put one in a street car a few years ago. Ran it for 2 years, summer and winter. Didn't have any problem with it. But for the cost and hassle of installing it, I can say it wasn't worth it. Yes I noticed a very slight mileage gain, and it ran smoother. But couldn't feel any real difference in power. Also, I have changed out many 20+ year old stock modules for cheap new factory replacements. And they gave the same effect as putting the 6-AL did.

But if you have one of those MSD distributors that's designed for a box. Then all you really need is to buy the box and a coil. But I would keep your stock distributor and some tools in your trunk if you go this route. Just in case it craps out.

If my distributor is designed for a box, what kind of coil would i need?

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor