My 1986 Ford F250

Status
Not open for further replies.

FRAYMD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2017
UPDATE

Well, purchased some Bilstein shocks to go with the drop springs that came with the truck. Gonna have a local fab guy repair the front shock mounts. Going static drop and then planning matching shocks out back with new rear springs.

Gonna cruise like that for a few years and then look at a complete and correct air ride setup. Probably shockwaves.

Looking forward to getting the bed cleaned up. Hoping I can get the fuel cell and bed floor done this year. Lots more to do this spring before it hits the road.

Reactions: 1 user

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I figured we skeered you off :)
Sounds like you have a great plan. It's an interesting swap for sure and the static drop will get it rolling again to work out all the other bugs

• Agree

FRAYMD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2017
Anyone good at decoding tags???
20180127_190302.jpg

FRAYMD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2017
I've done some forum searches. I found out the s10 Belltech 4202 drop springs that came with the truck are apparently 1" drop springs. I still can't determine if these s10 springs are a direct fit. If Moog s10 springs are shorter, I imagine a 1" s10 drop spring will actually drop things a bit more?

With stock replacement front control arms, what's the best for taller balljoints? Uppers or lowers or both? I read 10 threads and can't decipher which might be better for a daily driver suspension with a slight drop.

This is all a guesstimate on my truck that's never had springs, just bags. I am going to run the Bilstein shocks front and rear.

I will buy stock rear springs (as pictured that's a stock rear susp) and stock rear arms to replace worn bushings (once the front us done).

Goal is just getting it moving by April. Any help with solid info would be great. Going to order all my front end parts in a few weeks.

FRAYMD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2017
Update
Ordered some s10 2wd front upper/lower arms after being told they were interchangeable. Got them here and they are a bit different. Who can tell me what year arm is on the truck? Again, I was told 81 Malibu.
20180310_105306.jpg

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
it looks a little different as far as the hole in the center and the shape at the back but the pick up points look the same and that's what truly matters,is there anything else you can see other than that?

FRAYMD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2017
it looks a little different as far as the hole in the center and the shape at the back but the pick up points look the same and that's what truly matters,is there anything else you can see other than that?

I may need to relocate where the brake line brackets sit behind the arm on the frame of my truck. The S10 arms are more rounded on the outside and appear to bulge a bit towards the firewall. The upper may contact the bracket at full compression.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i wouldn't be too concerned about the way the arm looks rite now mocked up as your caster(along with everything else alignment wise) is going to change from here out when changing these parts and this will dictate where the arm spends most of it's time.

• Agree

FRAYMD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2017
I have a buddy working on the front end. Can anyone ID the wider arms??? Narrower ones are 2wd s10. They obviously won't fit and I was told the front stub was gbody...and that s10 arms would fit.

I am wondering if the front stub is earlier 70s GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor