My 5.3 LS build (please provide insightful advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
I bought a 5.3 LM7 (vin T) motor today at a local salvage yard that my shop deals with - 650 including the coil packs/accessory drive

I picked out what cam, intake manifold and carb I will be using (comp custom grinded cam, holley intake manifold, Holley 670 CFM street avenger, and the MSD LS box)

What I am unsure of is:
which radiator / cooling fan setup to run
What else I need to make the TH350C bolt up to the engine
Which motor mounts I should use
Which headers I can use (someone mentioned that texas speed long tubes for 4th gen f-body will fit?)
Which oil pan should I run (summit/jegs muscle car pan, chevy performance, hummer h3 ? ) etc;
which fuel pump do I need?
If i decide to run upgraded heads which to do ? 243/799/241 or a true aftermarket ?

I am sure I have more questions but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now.

I figured I would start this thread to detail the motor build as it continues

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
I started going thru that... but even in there there are multiple options.. just want to know if someone had better luck with one thing over another...

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
It's a little bit of a pain I know. I'm kind of going through the same thing right now. If your not doing anything crazy and want ease of install I guess I would go with all the Holley stuff. There made to work together.

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
It's a little bit of a pain I know. I'm kind of going through the same thing right now. If your not doing anything crazy and want ease of install I guess I would go with all the Holley stuff. There made to work together.
yeah looks like i need the 1" setback motor mounts, there is just so much stuff made by so many different people its tough...
more concerned with the little stuff that could be a nightmare e.g. the motor mounts and not having the trans in the right position

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
As far as the motor mounts go it seems like pretty much any of the one inch set backs will work. The details to worry about are if your keeping the heater box? Which intake and oil pan. Combining different parts and have them work. I'm in the middle of that myself

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
As far as the motor mounts go it seems like pretty much any of the one inch set backs will work. The details to worry about are if your keeping the heater box? Which intake and oil pan. Combining different parts and have them work. I'm in the middle of that myself
I am doing the holley carberated intake manifold, the oil pan I am leaning towards this ... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19212593https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19212593 which i believe will clear pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor