My 78 Grand Prix SJ Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotSoGrandPrix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2011
Hey guys, this is my 78 Grand Prix SJ that I picked up for $300. Both the engine (301) and transmission (200 Metric) were pretty much shot so I decided to swap in my 4.3l V6 and TH350. The only problem I'm having with the swap is with the motor mounts but it shouldn't take too long to figure out something for them. Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated! 😀 It also came with all 4 Pontiac Rally wheels but I just have those other wheels in the back for now since they have winters on them.

Attachments

• DSC02997.JPG
    DSC02997.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 987
  • DSC02995.JPG
    DSC02995.JPG
    782.5 KB · Views: 968
  • DSC02999.JPG
    DSC02999.JPG
    821.5 KB · Views: 960
If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I wouldn 't mind taking those 301 motor mount brackets of your hands if you plan to sell them.

G-Body_Vet said:
If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I wouldn 't mind taking those 301 motor mount brackets of your hands if you plan to sell them.

I don't think I'll be needing the brackets so I would sell them to you, but I live all the way up in Canada.. As for any specific questions, would you happen to know what kind of material would work best for fabricating the bumper filler pieces? All of the reproduction ones I find online are like $300.

This is the cheapest place I've found but they're flexible fiberglass instead of ABS plastic. Lifetime warranty too. I may give them a try when it comes time for me to buy my rears.
http://replica-plastics.com/EditParts.aspx?Make=Pontiac

As for the mount brackets, whenever you get around to them is fine. I'm not in a hurry, just want them as an extra set if you don't want a fortune for them. I've shipped back and forth to Canada a few times so it's no big deal.

G-Body_Vet said:
This is the cheapest place I've found but they're flexible fiberglass instead of ABS plastic. Lifetime warranty too. I may give them a try when it comes time for me to buy my rears.
http://replica-plastics.com/EditParts.aspx?Make=Pontiac

As for the mount brackets, whenever you get around to them is fine. I'm not in a hurry, just want them as an extra set if you don't want a fortune for them. I've shipped back and forth to Canada a few times so it's no big deal.

Those prices don't seem too bad, I'll definitely consider them after I try fabricating some.

Here are a couple shots of the interior and the motor.

Attachments

• DSC03000.JPG
    DSC03000.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 952
  • DSC03001.JPG
    DSC03001.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 941
  • DSC03002.JPG
    DSC03002.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 958
NotSoGrandPrix said:
Those prices don't seem too bad, I'll definitely consider them after I try fabricating some.

I've fabricated a few things here and there, and after looking at those fillers I decided it would be way too tricky. If you had a large enough piece of foam to carve out and lay the fiberglass on you could possibly get it to come out sorta OK

truck008.jpg

truck032.jpg

That was a cover I made for a B&M Shifter

I love your user name, by the way

motorholmes said:
I've fabricated a few things here and there, and after looking at those fillers I decided it would be way too tricky. If you had a large enough piece of foam to carve out and lay the fiberglass on you could possibly get it to come out sorta OK

truck008.jpg

truck032.jpg

That was a cover I made for a B&M Shifter

Nice job on the cover! Looks good. But yeah, I guess it would be kinda tricky... I'll still give it a shot though. I was just thinking of buying some kind of bendable material and then cutting it to fit where the original filler pieces were.

motorholmes said:
I love your user name, by the way

Haha thanks, I thought it was kind of fitting given the current state of my car.

motorholmes said:
Let us know if/when u get them and how they fit! Definitely a great price on those.
Are they trying to spell Parisienne? Parisian is a far cry..

At least they didn't call it a Parmesan :lol:
I wouldn't hold your breath for me to get those fillers. Body work is a looooong ways away for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor