my 78 longroof

Status
Not open for further replies.

78_buwag

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
small update. ive been trying to get this car ready to drive to du quoin Illinois for the car craft street machine nationals. everything minus a few details was looking great, til my 305 started a awesome cold start knock. still running fine when warm, but now I cant trust it. sooooo i'm working on a deal now for a 350 to drop in and make the 4 hour trip in.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Too bad about your 305. I'm sure you'd be able to swing a nice 350 in there in a weekend. Being a V-8 going into a V-8 car. There's no mounts to move, etc. Should be pretty straight forward.

78_buwag

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
it was to be expected with me behind the wheel. motor is original to the car and never been apart so its been a trooper. but I gotta have more cowbell

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
78_buwag said:
it was to be expected with me behind the wheel. motor is original to the car and never been apart so its been a trooper. but I gotta have more cowbell
I know...you have the fever and the only way to remedy that is more cowbell :rofl:

78_buwag

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
got the 305 out. after it fought me every step of the way. had one bell bolt that would not break loose even with an impact, so I pulled the trans with it. engine hoist ended up throwing the combo at me and 8 stitches later got patched up. but not that that's out of the way I can start working on the bay. cleaning everything and doing some painting and wire tucking as well as removing unnecessary items such as the cruise and all associated cables and vacuum lines and wiring. hoping to have a real nice looking setup.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Lookin' good, man.
Just be careful out there. It's no fun getting hurt. Are you still shooting to make the Car Craft Nationals?

78_buwag

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
Longroof79 said:
Lookin' good, man.
Just be careful out there. It's no fun getting hurt. Are you still shooting to make the Car Craft Nationals?

ill be going, just not in the wagon. problem around here is both machinist in town are great, but have attitudes. one does fantastic work, but refuses to do one anything more than stock and will take a week just to clean and hone a block. the other is just a plain *******. in the time crunch I have you cant ask either one to be in any sort of hurry, they'll stick in the corner and forget about it. so itll just have to get done when I get back

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I guess if these guys are the only act in town, you just have to be patient and go with the flow. I'm sure they're aware of that fact. :roll:
On the bright side, it gives you time to prep and paint the engine compartment.

78_buwag

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
well there is another shop in jeff city. always heard great things and they always have a good attitude. last I checked they were about 2 weeks backed up but I think i'm gonna go with them when I do it. ive already started the cleaning process. I want to make it look nice and clean and get rid of stuff that's not needed anymore

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think you pretty much answered your own question. Go with the people that are friendly, congenial, and treat you like a human being. I dislike dealing with primadonnas that treat people like sh*t and are hard to communicate with.
Two weeks out isn't bad at all. Like I said, it will give you time to ready your engine bay.
Go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor