My 79 Olds Calais Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutdog815

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 1, 2011
finman04 said:
Thanks guys, Blake do you still like the stock springs or are you going change them up later. I am going to repaint it the same color. When i have the repainted i was really thinking of have the half top done in blue as the same color, or should i keep the whit top. What do you think, I added a pic of my other olds i had with the blue top. Thanks

Keep me updated wit this build I have a 79 cutlass to wish I could move fast like u I have no funds :evil: right now

finman04

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2011
Roseville Mi.
Thanks Kris, might look into the diesel engine front springs. With the extra weight of the 455 might just work out great. I'm going to put 15's on the car and i want just a little height on the front. I also have been looking into the ford 9" rear but i really want to try to keep everything GM if i can. Was looking at GBody.com under buick and they sell the 8.5 open or posi. Just havent made up my mined though, the only thing i really like about the 9" is they welded the mounts forward more for better hook up. Progress is moving pretty slow, No funds right now. Hopefully the weather will break and can pull the 260 and start preping.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
I have a 350 diesel block converted to gas. I have stock SBO slprings in the front and I really didn't notice much. Probably dropped the front 1/4-1/2". I think it made my car feel more floaty over bumps of anything. But that's also the nature of these stock suspensions.

finman04

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2011
Roseville Mi.
Been really thinking of changing the build a little to a E85 with the price of gas. I can also run a higher compression on the motor. I need to start doing some reading up on this.

finman04

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2011
Roseville Mi.
Well its been awhile and finally had sometime to start working my Olds. I could not beleive that i didnt have any problems removing any bolts and was really surprised not finding and rust on the fenders at all.

Attachments

• 586.jpg
    586.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 869
  • 592.jpg
    592.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 861
  • 608.jpg
    608.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 860
  • 617.jpg
    617.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 848

finman04

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2011
Roseville Mi.
Well its been awhile since i was able to work on my Olds. Finally was able to pull that old 260 and powerwash the undercarriage, could not believe how clean the underbody really is with all that oil and road grime off. Now going to strip down the front suspension and replace the front banna springs that are in the car. I am looking for a set of front spring that will handle the weight of the 455 and able to put 15's on the front with just a little lift. Anyone have any ideas of what to use. I really hate to put stock springs in and not able to put 15's on. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• tn[2] (2).jpg
    tn[2] (2).jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 725
  • tn[7] (2).jpg
    tn[7] (2).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 736
  • tn[7].jpg
    tn[7].jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 738
  • tn[6].jpg
    tn[6].jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 734
  • IMAG0322.jpg
    IMAG0322.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 735

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
look for 80s 4 door olds at the junkyard & pull those springs. If they are too bouncy, you can modify them easily

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I prefer the diesel springs. I ran 15's easily with them. You can still buy them new. The 442 and Monte SS springs if new are also high enough.

finman04

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2011
Roseville Mi.
Thanks, was wondering if the 455 is more then the weight of the diesel motor though. I heard that others have used S10 springs also but really havent heard how they perform. Was also thinking of the olds 88 or 98 springs since they did have the 455's in them. Going to price out the diesel springs though. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor