My 86 limited project

Status
Not open for further replies.

uneek1976

G-Body Guru
Jul 24, 2009
Sugar Grove IL/ Chicago
This is my 86 rgeal limited when i picked her up.
100_0348.jpg

And here she is when i brought her home.
090607_191428-1.jpg

090607_191500-1.jpg

090607_191403-1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
You need to remove the chrome rocker trim pieces, in looking at some of those pictures there is some rust. These are notorious for holding water and rotting out the rocker panels as well as the bottom of the doors. I have an 86 for a daily driver and it was the same way, driver side rocker rotted out and lower parts of the door had some rust thru. Also the piece in front of the rear wheels on the quarter panel is bad about this. Good luck in your endeavors, let me know if you need any advice or assistance.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
What are your plans for it? I'd restore it to original, I mean it has rallye wheels, t-tops, leather seats, so it is pretty much the ultimate Regal Limited. What engine does it have?

As far as rust goes, I took the lower trim off of mine to check and see, and my rockers and lower doors are perfect. The rocker trim pieces have flared drainage holes so moisture has a chance to drain unless there has been dirt and leaves stuck all in there for years. My rear frame rails were shot though, and have since been replaced.

uneek1976

G-Body Guru
Jul 24, 2009
Sugar Grove IL/ Chicago
Starting from the rear, i have replaced the rearend with a 8.5 from a 84 hurst with a 3.73 gear, the lower control arms, belltech rear springs, rear disk from a c5, up front i have changed the upper control arms, replaced the lower control arm bushings, belltech spindles, stock shocks and springs from a monte ss, inner and outer tie rods were replaced, also i have c5 brakes up front. The engine was an olds 307 and a 200r4 trans, i replaced that with a sbc vortec headed 357 and a 700r4 trans. For the inside changed the speedo with a white faced speedo, and replaced the dash lights with blue Leds, put in a console and a b&m shifter.

86Limited

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2009
The Gunshine State, Fl
Wow and I thought having the limited you got power windows, door locks, seats, etc etc etc. I never knew Leather & t-tops were on the option list as well. Pretty cool I guess. As kustomkyle stated I guess It Is the "ultimate Regal Limited" :eek:

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
86Limited said:
Wow and I thought having the limited you got power windows, door locks, seats, etc etc etc. I never knew Leather & t-tops were on the option list as well. Pretty cool I guess. As kustomkyle stated I guess It Is the "ultimate Regal Limited" :eek:

My 86' Limited is the exact opposite. It looks similar (rallye wheels, light blue metallic instead of silver), but it has manual seats, crank windows/locks. That thing must have been like $20,000 new. If anything, at least the manual stuff is cheaper to maintain.

By the way, does/did your car sit low on the driver's side rear? My car is 1" lower than the passenger side back there, and I also replaced the rear springs from a Monte Carlo SS (as well as rear body mounts during the frame repair). I've heard these cars were like that from the factory?

Also, if you need any parts there is a salvage yard here that has about 20 1981-1987 Regals. One is a t-top car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor