My First Ever Project--1980 Cutlass Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Bowiemontecarlo86 said:
The cars coming along I see nice job on the bondo work.

Thank you, I'm ready to start of the motor but Olds are high to build so i'm working on it very slow.

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
TeezySupreme said:
Lol, The bolts are to long and it has it leaning like that after i get the machine work done i have to get shorter bolts but it's being held up pretty good i'm just being lazy.

Looks like you installed the upper part of the engine stand backwards, the hole for the part that bolts to the block should be at an angle. The angle should be angled up, yours looks to be angling down. I think if you turn the upper part around it will sit on there alot better. My big block leans down but not that much. Was trying to find a picture to show what I mean but was unable to find a side view of a stand.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
1983regal said:
TeezySupreme said:
Lol, The bolts are to long and it has it leaning like that after i get the machine work done i have to get shorter bolts but it's being held up pretty good i'm just being lazy.

Looks like you installed the upper part of the engine stand backwards, the hole for the part that bolts to the block should be at an angle. The angle should be angled up, yours looks to be angling down. I think if you turn the upper part around it will sit on there alot better. My big block leans down but not that much. Was trying to find a picture to show what I mean but was unable to find a side view of a stand.

Thank you ill redo it when i send the block to the shop.

finman04

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2011
Roseville Mi.
Car is really coming along great, front bondo job looks good. I feel your pain on the olds rebuild also, cant beleive in these prices on olds motors. Great job!!

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
finman04 said:
Car is really coming along great, front bondo job looks good. I feel your pain on the olds rebuild also, cant beleive in these prices on olds motors. Great job!!

Lol, i can buy two chevy intakes for the price of one olds. :puke:

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Been away from my thread for a while but I finally got my motor complete only head i could find were 3a I got them for free but i had to get rid of the 8 heads they weren't any good but here is the engine I need motor mounts now lol didn't know how hard they would be to find..

Attachments

• 935945_688589297836786_1863581176_n.jpg
    935945_688589297836786_1863581176_n.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 364
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What was wrong with the #8 heads? They are good castings, the 3A have known cracking issues and flow even less than the #8 heads. What piston's, cam and head gaskets?

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
olds307 and 403 said:
What was wrong with the #8 heads? They are good castings, the 3A have known cracking issues and flow even less than the #8 heads. What piston's, cam and head gaskets?

I was going to let a family member do them and found out they were cracked, I went to pull a part to grab some but they only have 5a there so it was pointless to get them.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
At least you will be around 8 to 1 with thick head gaskets and stock pistons. Stock cam? It will be a nice upgrade over the 305, at any rate.

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
olds307 and 403 said:
At least you will be around 8 to 1 with thick head gaskets and stock pistons. Stock cam? It will be a nice upgrade over the 305, at any rate.

Aah should have freshened the 305 :rofl: , cool car although I might be biased, the under coating you used is paintable, I did the bottom of my car with it to kind of refresh the factory black and then reduced gloss black Rust Oleum paint and gun sprayed it over top after it sat a day, it's been a while since I did it and it still looks good. Oils and road grime stick to that undercoat bad without a top coat just some thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor