My first race of '09 with the 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

zjchevy1

Apprentice
Apr 21, 2009
Wisconsin
Let me start by saying that we all know the 307-9 engine is not a high performance V8. But I am not the guy to back down from anyone...

Last night late my woman and I decide to go to Sonic for some late night treats...well, she decided we were going :roll: Ok, I could use some mozzerella sticks and a root beer float. So we get there and there's a few cars, mostly daily drivers. No big deal, so we order our treats, get our order, and start enjoying. Just as I'm peeling back the foil on the marinara sauce, I hear what at first sounds like a gear drop followed by a transformer farting. I look up and see a rusty, POS Honda CRX full of asshat kids driving by and eyeing up my car. In true muscle car guy fashion I ignore them. A few minutes later I hear exhaust rev's to the stutter box - I look in the rearview mirror and here's the Honda in the drive-thru. Whatever, I got a hot girl in my jump seat and you got a lot of sausage in that car. I was 16 once, but the difference is I was driving a G body then too :wink: So as were about to leave this CRX pulls up to me and says " you wanna race that turd?"

Ok, sh*t for brains, not the way to inquire about what's under the hood of any car. Figuring I can out-wit this kid with intelligence, I say "I'd love to race, but I'm not going to race you if you're going to start by attempting to imtimdate me and hurting my feelings!" He gets that usual dumb look on his face, pauses for a minute, then says, "Well, what all you got done to that?" So I tell him, "Its stock." As they enjoy a little laugh the guy in back seat says, "Yeah, but its a V8, and all V8's are f'n fast. How much HP are you putting out?" Not answering the question I respond by saying that the engine is an emission controlled SBO with a factory aluminum intake. But now its my turn, so I say "What do you got done to that?" This I want to hear...

"I've got 15k in this car!" He says. "Where, because its sure as hell not in body work!" When I said that, I musta struck a nerve because he pipes right up saying he worked for that car and unlike me his parents didn't buy it for him. "Dude, I'm 28 years old. Thanks for letting me know how young I look, but my parents didn't buy me any car I've ever had, and if you "worked" for that car, you must not work very hard!" He goes on to tell me he's got all these mods for which I do not believe. He has an annoying muffler and some newish lookin suspension underneath. I may be wrong, but you don't get much performance from flat black paint over your rust holes. Seeing this punk is full of it, I start up the Olds and head for the street with ricer kid in tow.

Get the red light a block up. My GF says "are you really gonna race him?" Yep. I might lose, but I'm not backing down after all the smack talk. Light turns green, I punch it, he dumps the clutch. I spin, he spins, but I pull away hard from him, gotta be thankful for 3.73s in the back. I let off with him about 3 cars back and get the ricer fly-by as he gets up to speed. He's waiting for me at the next stoplight. "That car ain't stock!" he says. Before I get the chance to tell him it is, my woman is leaning across the drivers seat yelling "Why don't you take that POS back to the Junkyard!" I swear she sounded just like Sammy Davis, Jr. in Cannonball Run! We turned off to head back to her place laughing all the way.

I've got a lot more confidence in my 307. Can't wait to get some more go fast goodies and play again!!!

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Sounds like fun :D You'd be surprised how much deeper gearing can wake a car up.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I love it Zac.......... send that little knob polisher my way. Maybe he can beat a V-6 since that 307 gave him fits. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! :D

zjchevy1

Apprentice
Apr 21, 2009
Wisconsin
82355supreme said:
I love it Zac.......... set that little knob polisher my way. Maybe he can beat a V-6 since that 307 gave him fits. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! :D

Yeah, we should just cruise Middleton on a weekly basis!

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
I dream of the day i get at a stoplight with the cutlass. No really, I just wanna make it to a stop light hahaa.

1sicbu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 16, 2009
Tampa,Florida
that was a baddass kill.i love when they pull that sh*t,and when you hand them their *ss they feel like sh*t.sweet dude.. :D

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
ricers completely ruin the reputation of respectable imports haha

G-BodyMaster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 17, 2009
Franklin
2000.malibu.ls said:
ricers completely ruin the reputation of respectable imports haha

X2

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
Thanks to this post, I'm now in the mood for Sonic. again.

carbuf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 14, 2009
Jacksonville, Fl.
The 307 may not be known for it's horsepower rating, but all of the wide V configurations (ie: Buick, Olds and Cad V8's) are great at off the line torque. Combine that with some steep gears, and you can run away from most "racecars" on the street, even if it for only about two blocks! Still a great way to have fun in a street car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor