My glove box lock has seized up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
Okay,long story short.I had to mess around behind the glove box to get a trim piece out.But since I shut it,the lock has totally seized up,I cannot get into my glove box,ive taken the screws out of the bottom with still no luck.I have never locked it,hell I dont even have a key to lock it.It has my insurance card,registration and drivers license in it.Any help is much appreciated.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
If you have access to a jeweler's tool kit, eyeglass screwdrivers, or two very small flat tip screwdrivers, you could pick the lock. I've never done it myself, but I have seen it done.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
It should be your door and trunk key unless someone changed it out.

Sorry I don't really have any suggestions to get it open if just locking and unlocking and giggling it doesn't help, that don't involve breaking things. I'd probably try to drill out the lock and from there hammers and prying devices and a lot of swear words. I'm sure someone will come along with a less cave man approach. :lol:

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
kornball426 said:
It should be your door and trunk key unless someone changed it out.

Sorry I don't really have any suggestions to get it open if just locking and unlocking and giggling it doesn't help, that don't involve breaking things. I'd probably try to drill out the lock and from there hammers and prying devices and a lot of swear words. I'm sure someone will come along with a less cave man approach. :lol:
Yeah I dident have the door key to begin with,I had to buy new door locks.Ive been prying on it,but my dash starts to bow out like its gonna rip out the dash.I can see the latch and lock mechanism since I took the screws out but I still cant figure it out.

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA
use a nail file or a thin piece of metal to get to the lock mechanism on the glove box.. dash shud b fine if u use a screw driver jus do push against the dash to much(i had to do this before lol)

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
This is very common.

As long as it's not locked, you can simply put a rag around the knob (to prevent scratching it) and grab it with a pliers to turn it.

Once it's open, lube it up with some white lithium grease or whatever to get it moving freely again.

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
Blake442 said:
This is very common.

As long as it's not locked, you can simply put a rag around the knob (to prevent scratching it) and grab it with a pliers to turn it.

Once it's open, lube it up with some white lithium grease or whatever to get it moving freely again.
What and just force it??It shouldent be locked,cuz I dont have a key to lock it.It worked fine just a week ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor