My name is Danno just joined the group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 18, 2017
I just recently bought a 79 elky. It is all original I am the third owner of this car. Last guy bought in 84 it's been in North Dakota it's whole life till now it's spent the last 10 years in and out of a hanger as he was pilot so that's were it was stored , his son just drove it home 7 hours so it's road worthy , has 305 with auto trans, I'm looking to put 255/60/15 rear tires on it with 235/60/15 up front but the rear end is saggy , I plan on putting new coil springs in the rear , here is w here I'm looking for advice , I would like the rear to sit about 1 inch higher than stock , any ideas on what springs to put in the rear ? For this summer I just plan on putting wheels tires on it and enjoy cruising it around with more upgrades to come . Any help with my rear suspension is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Danno

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard Danno.
Let's see some pics of your new ride...and thanks for the introduction.

Danno

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 18, 2017
Welcome aboard Danno.
Let's see some pics of your new ride...and thanks for the introduction.
Thanks for the welcome. I am currently on vacation so I can't post any pics yet , but will try to get some on when I get back .

Thanks again

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks for the welcome. I am currently on vacation so I can't post any pics yet , but will try to get some on when I get back .

Thanks again
Sounds good. Enjoy your vacation.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Welcome to the site from Houston. I bought some "A-body" rear springs for my car to get the back up but I haven't installed them yet so I don't know how much lift they provide. I'll have to double check the part number I bought before I post it up on here. If the stock springs are saggy, then maybe a new set of stock springs or cargo coils would restore the ride height and that would be enough? Not sure how much lift you are looking for.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If you do plan on doing some occasional hauling, then a pair of cargo coils might be the answer. Although they may start out a little more than 1" more than stock.
Your other option would be a set of A-body springs like Jared mentioned, and add air bags for the times you need to haul some extra weight.

• Agree

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Welcome to the site.

If the El Camino is all original it should still have the factory air shocks in place. If the springs are saggy maybe go with the A body or a pair of cargo coils as mentioned and look at putting some air in the rear shocks?

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.

Thanks again
Book 'em Danno!! ( sorry ..I had to ) WELCOME to the site. Alot of nice guys here.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Book 'em Danno!! ( sorry ..I had to ) WELCOME to the site. Alot of nice guys here.
James, I thought the same thing when he introduced himself...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor