My new 84 H/O

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutlass383

Master Mechanic
Nov 24, 2009
Oklahoma City
So, has the Nissan moved outside to make the Hurst all nice warm and snuggly yet?

As far as radio goes, there is an option out there I'll toss out in case you're interested as well. There's a gentleman in the fiero circles that has rebuilt & modernized a few hundred radios as a side hobby. He usually has some monsoon cd player units with the EQ, stock appearing aux input jack, etc reconditioned and ready to go. Price varies but it's often around $150 or so shipped to buy one. It'd be a direct fit replacement while you could save the original to have rebuilt to be correct.

Changes the drivability, easily reversable in minutes, and less invasive than changing the wheels or the brakes being painted. (Which look nice btw)

It'd be an option anyways, and I can get you more info if desired.
Yess that would be great! thanks

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
So my source got back to me and my car is #1327 sold in Glasgow MO, where I picked it up. Built Jan 13 1984.
Bonus! Jan 13, 84 build date, and you have the bigger horn button with the silver ring. They made the change from the smaller 83-early 84 horn buttons right around there. That's how you can tell if it's a January or later build car with an original steering wheel.

Wasn't sure exactly when that changed occurred. Best we can determine at the moment it was around early-mid January. Still don't have a VIN break point on that. So far yours is the earliest built confirmed date with the bigger horn button that I've seen. Not that it matters that much, it's just interesting trivia stuff.

My car is another Missouri car, #19, and was originally sold in North Kansas City, MO at H.E. Miller dealership. Small H/O world. IIRC, when I talked to the original owner on the phone, she said she bought it off the showroom floor sometime around June 84. She had traded in her big azz Delta 88 in. But the car was built in November 83. That thing sat a good while and she even got a discount on it so they could move it.

Her husband didn't like it because it was small in relative comparison, but she liked it. Then she gave it to her son later... who promptly fugged it up. And the same guy who wanted to buy it back from me when he heard of where it ended up. Which I would have gladly sold it back to him for my asking price. But he didn't think it was worth $6500 after I fixed it all up with NOS door skins, fenders, and a truckload of other NOS GM parts. I tried to tell him that was a bargain for the $$ I had in it and that was my sentimental value for going back to the original owners price. I guess sentimental value wasn't enough for him.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

84cutlass383

Master Mechanic
Nov 24, 2009
Oklahoma City
Bonus! Jan 13, 84 build date, and you have the bigger horn button with the silver ring. They made the change from the smaller 83-early 84 horn buttons right around there. That's how you can tell if it's a January or later build car with an original steering wheel.

Wasn't sure exactly when that changed occurred. Best we can determine at the moment it was around early-mid January. Still don't have a VIN break point on that. So far yours is the earliest built confirmed date with the bigger horn button that I've seen. Not that it matters that much, it's just interesting trivia stuff.

My car is another Missouri car, #19, and was originally sold in North Kansas City, MO at H.E. Miller dealership. Small H/O world. IIRC, when I talked to the original owner on the phone, she said she bought it off the showroom floor sometime around June 84. She had traded in her big azz Delta 88 in. But the car was built in November 83. That thing sat a good while and she even got a discount on it so they could move it.

Her husband didn't like it because it was small in relative comparison, but she liked it. Then she gave it to her son later... who promptly fugged it up. And the same guy who wanted to buy it back from me when he heard of where it ended up. Which I would have gladly sold it back to him for my asking price. But he didn't think it was worth $6500 after I fixed it all up with NOS door skins, fenders, and a truckload of other NOS GM parts. I tried to tell him that was a bargain for the $$ I had in it and that was my sentimental value for going back to the original owners price. I guess sentimental value wasn't enough for him.
Didn't know about the bigger horn button, and yes it does have the silver ring around it. The guy who sold me the car was friends with the original owner. He told me he over rev'd the car and had the original engine rebuilt by the dealer under warranty. I need to re-seal the engine ASAP because its leaking oil bad.

84cutlass383

Master Mechanic
Nov 24, 2009
Oklahoma City
so I got the radio working after messing around with the wires behind it, but the display doesn't come on. Question is do I still need to rebuild it? Surprisingly it sounds really good, the equalizer works as well. only front driver speaker doesn't work, and I hate dealing with those speaker covers because they tend to break.

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
Use a bone to get the speaker grilles out not a screwdriver. It's a plastic all around tool most glass guys carry...you can get them at your local auto paint shop. If it is cold out where you live use a heat gun or blow dryer to soften them up so they aren't brittle. Just put a new stereo and speakers in one of my cars...just replace them because they are 30 plus years old. Bought some Cerwin Vegas front and new 4x10's for the back. Cost like $80 for all 4 speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor