My next motor will probably a 400 with a 350 block...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf001

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
I suppose to buy that motor staring the year with the transmission. Can it fit easely in my 1979 Grands Lemans without modification or I will need some modification ans make a hole in my hood ?? I really like to escape the hole or a scoop on the hood.

What do you mean by a 400 with a 350 block? A 383? Also, what kind of 400 or 350 is it? Chevy? Pontiac? Regardless, fitting without a scoop will depend on the intake, carb and air filter housing-not the displacement of the engine.

I'm lost.... :?

do u mean a chevy 350 bored out to a 400, or a actual 400 block? we need more details, what kind of engine it is, ci, ect..

can you turn a 350 into a 400? you would have to have a .120 overbore!.
how much can you bore a 350--gen1 lt1 ls?

gen1 and LT1 can go .060 max before they start to get too hot when they are under load.

LS-engines shouldn't be overbored. They should be sleeved and run in standard form. If you ever take one apart to take it to the machine shop you'll see why!

I tell you the thruth, I'm not sure what kind of motor it is, he told me it's a 350/400 original never modified. If somebody can tell me more about it ?? I'm pretty sure i'ts a Pontiac 400, because they came with a 350 block... I think 😛 But i'ts a 350 block with 400 heads

2 posibilities, a 350ci motor with a 400 trans. or a buick 350--if i remember correctly some BOP blocks from 350 up to maybe 455 were identical. the factory just put in a different crank/stroke. either that or the 350 shared the exterior dimensions with the larger blocks.

to be positive we need casting numbers and maybe pics.

Pontiac engines can be done that way. If 400 heads are on a 350, the compression is dreadfully low unless there are good pistons inside to compensate.

Olds engines can possibly be done that way but there weren't enough 400 olds engines made to make this likely.

Buick engines are in a few different families, and none of them will allow a 350 to have any other heads than a 350 on it. Period.

This is most likely Pontiac (if it's even B-O-P at all) because their engines only had one family and people often mistakenly refer to them as using the same block. Of course, this isn't any more true than chevy 305s and 350s using the same block.

Numbers are nice, but pictures are better for this instance.

If you have a Pontiac V8, you need the motor mounts from a 301 or 265 equipped g-body, available up until 82. You just need the shells for the upper and then you can use the regular chevy style motor mounts on the frame. You can also get those shells from 77-81 firebirds.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor