My next motor will probably a 400 with a 350 block...

Status
Not open for further replies.
megaladon6 said:
2 posibilities, a 350ci motor with a 400 trans. or a buick 350--if i remember correctly some BOP blocks from 350 up to maybe 455 were identical. the factory just put in a different crank/stroke. either that or the 350 shared the exterior dimensions with the larger blocks.

to be positive we need casting numbers and maybe pics.

he's selling the transmission with the motor because he told me my transmission woul'nt fit...Maybe your first option is good

What engine is in your Grand LeMans now?

which ever engine it is it will fit. you may have to change motor mount and re-run some wiring or plumbling, but nothing major.
any of the major gm transmission can be installed. you will have to get the proper crossmember. i wouldn't use a th400 since it's a truck trans, unless you have it completely rebuilt and change the gear sets--not worth it. id run a 200-r4 for the overdrive and close ratio gearing. a th350 is also a good choice for it's strength, but it's only a 3spd.

megaladon6 said:
which ever engine it is it will fit. you may have to change motor mount and re-run some wiring or plumbling, but nothing major.
any of the major gm transmission can be installed. you will have to get the proper crossmember. i wouldn't use a th400 since it's a truck trans, unless you have it completely rebuilt and change the gear sets--not worth it. id run a 200-r4 for the overdrive and close ratio gearing. a th350 is also a good choice for it's strength, but it's only a 3spd.

it's a th 350 right now, but on a canadian motor, the other motor is amerian, not the same bolting...

You know it's very cheap to just put a chevy small block 350 in your car, right? It will just fall right in!

If you want to put a Pontiac in, you will have to replace your motor mounts, but they are cheap so you should probably replace them. They look very similar to the chevy parts and they are less than 8 dollars each. They bolt to the frame the same as the chevy ones do.

The guy selling you the engine is right, your transmission will not bolt to the pontiac engine.

You need the shells that bolt to the engine block (similar to the chevy engine style) from any 301 or 265 (pontiac) engine or any size Pontiac V8 from 1975-1981 in a Firebird.

There is no difference in the bolt pattern of a similar American vs Canadian model. GM did not retool it's entire production run of any engine to differentiate between countries the car is sold in! You can use a 350 Chevy out of a Australian 1970 Holden Monaro in a 1988 Monte Carlo just like it came from a Chevy Caprice or pickup. Canadian models are even less distinct mechanically. Just minor differences in emissions and some trim.

Usually, the difference is that the Canadian Pontiac cars got chevy engines in them - almost exclusively.

I have seen many cars from the early 60's on up, even big ones, like a Catalina with a 396 chevy as a factory install, but only in Canadian models.

The mechanic probably thinks that because he has a Canadian Grand LeMans, he got the 305 instead of the 301 Pontiac.

That's what I figured...

When are you gonna take a few pictures of your new engine to go in? We need top, front (fan end) and back (flywheel end) to help you with what parts you need to make it fit good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor