My rear bumper is uneven

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
So i was helping my cousin drag his ford ranger out of a ditch with my cutlass. he hooked a chain with a hook on both ends to my rear bumper and i pulled that truck out but now my rear bumper is horizontally uneven. one end is pushed in and one end is out where it belongs. one of those shock absorber things is fully extended and one is pushed all the way in. i want my bumper to be even again. help plz

donnyR

Apprentice
Nov 15, 2009
Harvey IL,60426
sounds like you pulled out the bumper shock impact absorber. also i dont think you can push them back in but youll have to buy another one

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
This is why you don't use a car like it's a truck... :roll:

For starters, never hook onto the bumper, you're just asking for damage, and you're lucky it didn't tweek the bumper, or even worse, rip it completely off.
If you're going to do something like this... HOOK TO THE FRAME!!

Since one side is pushed in, and the other is ok, wrap a chain around the shock thats pushed in, and attach the other end of the chain to something stationary. I'd use your cousin's truck since he was kind enough to make you mess up your car in the first place.

Now, SLOWLY pull forward to pull the shock back out, and have somebody watching so you know when to stop.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I agree with Blake442. My Malibu had a pushed in bumper and it was stuck big time. I chained it to a tree with a come-along to apply pressure then whacked it with a sledgehammer.Popped right out.

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
X2
torque it slowly till it looks right. It takes alot of torque. I've seen a loader with a bucket been used for this before. It may take a bit but think about how much of a jar it took to bend it the way it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor