my wagon ls swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolegtp12

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2012
olaton ky
no prob on the exhaust man, sweet deal u got on truck as for fuel system thats were having a wagon sucks compared to a regular gbody for now im doing a external pump which means i need to not let it get below 1/4 tank since its not baffled. good luck and if u have any other questions just ask and maybe i can help.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
The exhaust manifolds are having to wait another day. I'm not sure of the tank shape and sending unit on that wagon, but something I discovered while digging in the junkyard may be worth looking into. The sending unit from an early '90's GM fwd vehicle (Buick park ave, olds 88, Pontiac boneville) will fit into the g-body tank. It's a little deep, but some minor fabricating may work for a cheap in tank efi pump conversion.

GRIFF442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2012
Coral Springs, Florida
Sorry to butt in, but a fuel sender from a 94 Astro van with TBI will go right into a malibu wagon tank with no modification and will allow you to mount fuel pump into tank just like factory. I did this on my 83 Bu wagon when I put in a turbo V6 and it works great. I have ran the tank down to 1/4 full and done full throttle blast with no fuel starvation issues( have not been brave enough to try it on E). I got mine brand new through RockAuto for about $75 and the fuel gage is much more accurate than the factory sender ever was.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
You're not butting in! That's damn good information.

Now where can I find a long piece of 1 or 2 gauge battery cable. The local welding shop sells welding lead wire, but it's not cheap. Any factory vehicles come with a trunk mounted battery?

kolegtp12

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2012
olaton ky
great info on the astro sender, if i had not already bought my fuel system i would do it in a heartbeat and still might

AndrewMrChevy

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2011
Lima, Ohio
I have the 94 Chevy Astro in my fuel tank as well and it works perfect. Here is a great tip for your A/C, swap out your condensor for a 87-88 Monte Carlo SS/ El Camino this is only about $100.00 and it exit all on the passenger side so you can make short A/C Hoses for your build and will keep everything cleaner.

kolegtp12

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2012
olaton ky
good tip on ac lines. i just finished my fuel systems and started on wiring and decided to use suburban started to battery wiring and it works great but battery is on drivers side instead of passengers side as my car is. but mr gm did a wonderful thing, since some wagons had diesel motors with 2 batterys the battery tray will unbolt from passenger side and bolts right n on drivers side. also a throttle cable from a 97 chevy truck with a v8 wrks with gbody pedal just a little long, i cut it off and installed a cable clamp from a go cart at the pedal and it wrks perfect. all thats left is to bolt up starter and mount computer and finish up cooling system, hope to b up and running within 2 weeks.

lsx80monte

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
Did my swap a couple of yrs ago and wont ever go back to carbs and first gen small blocks again. Been to texas and back to fl and now going back to texas. These engines are great. On my third swap but this time going in a maverick.

kolegtp12

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2012
olaton ky
well started car last nite sounds awesome didnt have anti freeze so i just shut it off. came home tonite and started filln radiator and couldnt get water to circulate after many head scratches i went to the web and just found my issue. Im running a csr straight thermostat housing and just found out that u can not run a ls thermostat in the new design of the csr housing. so now in the morn i have to pull off housing and change stat out to a old style small block thermostat and c if that fixes it i hope so cause after that is fixed she can come off jack stands and hit the road for a test run

kolegtp12

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2012
olaton ky
changed stat and went on a 20 mile cruze today. car runns awesome and is really smooth i will never go back to a old small block ls all the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor