need a source for tailgate cable swage eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack, maybe you could just match up some shorter cables?
Jared,
Do you mean trying to find shorter cables with the ends already swaged on?
It's not quite that easy, sorry to say. I have found some, but the sizes don't match what's needed. The eye end needs to be 3/8", with a 3/16" opening to accommodate the cable, which uses a 3/32" cable. The piece itself is approx. 2" long.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Three choices as I see it

Try an overhead door company, the drum cable ends may be similar

Use die grinder/cutoff wheel to split swage lengthwise, shorten cable, weld/braze back together, grind/dress ferrule, cover with shrink tube

Relocate gate end to under one of the latch bolts. I would probably use a slightly longer bolt with a short length of brake tube to make a collar for cable to pivot on

All I can think of right now
Brian,
Thank you for your clever suggestions. I had tried drilling into one to no avail...but I like the idea of cutting it lengthwise with a die grinder , shortening the cable, and welding or brazing it together. I honestly didn't consider that. I'm glad I have an extra pair I can sacrifice.
Shrink tube would finish it off nicely. I will also look into overhead door hardware....good call!

That why I love this site. Many heads coming together to solve a problem. Among the members, someone always seems to have an answer or solution.

Thank you guys...I appreciate all your feedback.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor