Need Exhaust Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I did a little fishing on the Walker and RockAuto websites. Because it's more fun than folding the laundry. Not much left in inventory for the Buick 3.8L. But, if you are creative, you can make this work. Check the catalog page I copied. The intermediate pipe is not available for the 231ci. But if you look in RockAuto under Malibu 5.0L V8 (Chevy), there is an intermediate pipe that looks close. 47577, for the 'brick' cat. Add a 41282 and the 42780 for the 231. The 22070 muffler and the 43828 tailpipe are the same for both cars. If you can delete the cat, you might have to fabricate a pipe between the 'J' shaped pipe and the intermediate pipe, and some hangers, but you could make this all new for under $200.

Attachments

• Buick Exhaust.JPG
    Buick Exhaust.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 238
  • Malibu Exhaust.JPG
    Malibu Exhaust.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 244
  • Chevrolick Exhaust.JPG
    Chevrolick Exhaust.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 231

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Federated is where I got mine. Unfortunately the V8 stuff is quite a bit different, you'd have to do quite a bit of surgery at the front of the pipes to get them to match up to the manifolds/catalytic converter. Not sure about alignment side to side either since Buick V6's, Olds 307's, and Chevy 305's are all pretty different in overall design, shape, and exhaust manifold design, placement, length, etc. The only thing about using exhaust for a different engined car that should be alright is how they fit to the floors, but that also will be dictated by the engine configuration somewhat.

The Olds 307 exhaust was actually 2-1/4" mostly until after the muffler, where the little tailpipe was 2" for some reason. I'm thinking the Chevy 305 was 2" the whole way through, like the V6 stuff.

You might be better off just getting it from RockAuto. The only real problem is the shipping costs, but most times I've checked, even with shipping the prices have been lower than what I've been quoted at stores.

Walker is the main replacement exhaust company, AP/Merit is another (which is what mine is, sold by Federated). NAPA, Autozone, Advance, or basically anyone else sells Walker.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I am not a Buick expert, but from the diagram, it looks like the exhaust manifolds connect together with the 'U' pipe, and then a second port in the passenger manifold connects to the 'J' pipe that drops down to where the cat is. Then the intermediate pipe connects to the back of the cat. The small-block and 229CI V6 parts are more common, but I think the mashup I have proposed may work for you. If you are not required to have a cat for emissions compliance in your area, then you may see some mileage and performance improvement by removing the 30-year-old cat. The computer may grumble if you lose the O2 sensor, so weld a bung for it in the cat-replacement pipe.

RockAuto will quote shipping when you put in your zip code.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
If that's the case, you might be able to use the Olds 307 exhaust if need be. It looks to be a very similar setup to the Buick V6. The main issue would be how big the "front pipe" is (elbow pipe that connects the RH manifold to the catalytic converter). Also, still might be an alignment issue. The V6 is probably in a different position front to back and is likely narrower, especially if comparing to an Olds V8.

You wouldn't think the Buick V6 stuff would be that hard to find as it was probably the most common engine configuration, at least for '81+ vehicles. It was the V6 used in Cutlasses too, which was the best selling vehicle during that time (and may still hold a record?).

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
NoRest92, if you choose to apply any of this advice, I'd love to see some pictures and a writeup on how it worked out. Others may find the data useful. Not all Forum members are chasing 400 horsepower.

NoRest92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2013
Thanks for all the help and advice guys! Due to other complications my exhaust work is on hold until the car is back up and running. I'll be starting a new post for my latest issue lol

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I made this connection, too, and am impressed that Mat1127 sought out your old post!
Shipping should not be that much if you're not in his neighborhood. Looks like good parts from the pictures.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Did a little more research, looks like the 307 Olds and Buick V6 use the same catalytic converter front gasket and rear socket flange, so that is a plus. The catalytic converters are different though, so I'm guessing they are different lengths or the V6 has a smaller body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor