Need help identifying wires the

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the plug I had for the sender had one tan wire down to the sender at the top of the oil filter and the plug I had for the oil switch which was on the drivers side of the distributor on the top of the engine had a brown wire and a blue wire. For the oil switch the brown wire was hot with the ignition on and the switch would provide current to the choke coil if the engine was running and the oil pressure with close the switch. With the key in the run position with the engine not running that switch would remain open and not power would go to the coil. That was to prevent a problem starting the car if the coil was on without the car running and the you tried to start the engine when the choke was off due to the coil being heated.

Is the computer still in the car and all the components related to the computer still installed?

Andrew83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2017
Thanks for the detailed info-

So, I've got the tan oil sender wire sorted moved/installed new sending unit to driver side of distributor and connected. We're installing after market gauges (Autometer) and this lead should be sufficient for oil pressure....

As far as oil switch/choke coil goes- I'm looking for a 12v ignition source for the electric choke on the Holley Carb- sounds like using the brown may be an option- ultimately I'm trying very hard not to butcher stock harness- and really just could not recall or find on a schematic where these wires went/purpose-

Computer and emissions harness has been removed from car and will not be reused- of which I still have both-

Any idea what 5 wire flat rectangular plug was for? Anyone?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the plug looks like it would fit the dryer for the AC but I'm not sure about the wires wiring for it on a G body with a computer. Maybe someone can check their car

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
does one side of that plug have power when you turn the key on? If not you can turn on one accessory at a time to see when there is power on that plug, if it is on then you can pull out one fuse at a time to find out what circuit it's on.

Andrew83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2017
Ok so after thumbing through the electrical shop manual multiple times and research on here I've determined the rectangular plug is for the "throttle kicker realy" that's mounted to the firewall- no ECM = Worthless.

Relay
IMG_1658.JPG
Wiring diagram
IMG_1657.JPG
Choke Heater Wire Diagram
IMG_1656.JPG
Thanks for the help and input fellas-

Andrew83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2017
does one side of that plug have power when you turn the key on? If not you can turn on one accessory at a time to see when there is power on that plug, if it is on then you can pull out one fuse at a time to find out what circuit it's on.

Pink/Black should be HOT in run position-

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor