Need help prep for paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGhost

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2010
I need to get my car sanded down and primered for now, I've never done it before but would like to try. Not so close up photos are in the bucket. I have an air compressor with specs as follows: 5.2 HP, 25 gallon, 4.9scfm@40psi, 3.5scfm@90psi, 150 max psi. I just got back from the paint store and bought a Durablock DA Sander and 6 6'' 220 grit sandpaper. They showed me a two different types of primer priced at about $70 and the other $130, I was also told I would need primer sealer which is basically the same price. Is there an alternative cheaper route because I want to get it done but I don't have that kind of money right now. I asked him about the rattle cans self etched(?) which were priced at $12 a can and he said I would probably need a whole case and I'm sure sealer as well. Also, If someone could walk me through the process, I would be appreciative. I did read the whole Body & Paint sticky thread but would like information regarding my car specifically. I don't think I would be getting it painted right after primer due to money and it is in a garage right now but I would like to keep it outside after it has primer. Also I have someone who will take care of the bondo part. Finally, I won't consider this the last paint job for years to come, I just want to get it to look a little more decent before I drive it.

http://s855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/ExTerMaSo/Regal/

I will gladly get some close up pics if need.

Side question: What is the difference between black primer and flat black paint? Would flat black count as primer?

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
you always want to use a sealer over the primer before laying paint down. If you have a lot of area that doesnt need filler or primer, you can probablly just get away with 320 on the da and fixing pinholes or minor chips and that stuff then sealer and paint. That way you can save some $ on primer. Definitely stay away from can priming the whole deal.

i would say do the filler work and use good primer on the whole car, then drive it around or whatever your gonna do.

79malibubbctt

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2011
cb, ia
There never really is a cheap paint job. If you skimpy out on the primer and primer dealer than your paint will not stick and the paint will flake or peel off. If you're looking for a cheaper paint job just take it to macoo. Wait for a paint sale an then take it in. It will be cheaper if you tske the bumpers and stuff like that off. And also if you want body work done do it before. You can probablly get the whole car painted for less then 600

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor