Need Ideas on How To Make My Olds Faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
3.73 gears with stock 25 inch tall tires will turn about 3500 RPM at 65 MPH, 26 inch tall tires will give you about 3400 RPM at 65 MPH. That can make the gas gauge seem like it moves as fast as the speedo.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
I have ran stock Olds 350's with 2.29 rear gears and could do burnouts all day. With a shift kit it would chirp loud going to second. This isn't all a gear issue. It could even be a transmission slippage issue.
My bet is the engine has some worn parts, timing chain/gears, valve seal is probably gone, distributor could have stuck weights or dead springs...Hopefully it doesn't still have the 307 exhaust manifolds.

You could be right but if if that where the case i think he'd be posting up about driveability issues...i hope. Lol

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
since you just want some get up and go, i would recommend a rather large procharger it will get you moving no matter what gears you have in there...now after it separates the heads from the block you can get the specs of your engine

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Since you have a TH350C, you can get away with a 3.42 gear. It means
2600 rpm at 60 mph with stock size tires with the converter locked. If it is the late 70's 350, it will be sluggish especially when worn out.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
While the 2.14 does make for a dog, I'm casting another vote for a tired or out of tune engine. I've seen more than one olds engine wake up just by replacing the timing chain. Make sure the engine has a clean bill of health before throwing money at it. Have you done a compression or leak down test? Is your carb in good shape or do you have any vacuum leaks?

I've had cars with 3 speeds and 3.73's and I won't even do that again.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
From my experience putting an Edelbroke carb on an Olds is a step in the wrong direction. The performer intake is a decent piece but their carbs a junk IMO. A nice 800 cfm Q jet properly tuned should wake it up and you will still get decent fuel mileage. Here is a short list of things I would do that should wake it up and put the car in the 14's
1) change the rear gear (with your trans I wouldn't go any higher than 3:42. 3.08's would also be an option
2). Toss the E broke carb in the trash. Find a Q jet and set it up with the right metering rods (not hard to do)
3). Add headers and low restriction exhaust. Ditch the catalytic converter if you can.
4). Install a mild cam. An RV cam would likely be a good option with your low compression / smog heads

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
I may just do 3.42 gears then. I know the gears def have to be changed. I drive this car maybe 3 times a month in the spring summer fall. That should be ok
what's the rear end ratio?

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
If it came with an Olds 307 then it will have low numerical gears. Is the cars computer still functioning? I assume not since you have swapped the carb. Are you using a non computer controlled distributor? What is the Letter and number ID code cast into the cylinder heads? This will be on the top front corner of the drivers side head, just to the left of the #1 spark plug. And what are the casting numbers on the heads? This is located on top of the center two exhaust runners. Hopefully the heads aren't from a 403.
The Olds 350 engine may just be worn out.
You could probably benefit from a cam swap and cylinder head rebuild. Unless you can afford a full on rebuild.
Engine Cast Number: 5549643A
Cylinder Head Cast Number: 37X1C1669

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor