Need LS Swap Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeper Wagons

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2014
Hello everyone,

I'm new to G Body Forum and High performance LS engines; however, I have been hot rodding small block (SBC) and big block chevy's (BBC) for years. I was amazed how these engines (LS) made so much power, got good gas mileage and ran 10 and 11s on the 1320. When I returned from the 2012 Holley LS Fest, I started selling my SBC and BBC stuff. "If you can't beat them all around, join (swap)them"! :roll: I have a 02 Suburban with a 5.3 and it is great!

I have this thing for wagons and El Camino's. I have two 83 Malibu Wagons. One is pure stock with a V-6 and is my driver. The other one is my sleeper with a BBC. I can not part with either wagon, so I'm going to swap in a 09 G8 LS2 & 6 speed auto trans in the V-6 wagon. I have the engine harness and controller; however, I need the trans controller and the gas pedal. The salvage yard I got it all from no longer have the car; however, they have a V-6 G8. I would think that I can not use the needed parts from the V-6 G8. :blam: Any ideas?

I would love to hear of similar swaps and welcome any advise to make the swap go as smooth as possible while keeping the cost down. I was looking at the BRP swap kit and shorty headers (only if the stock G8 exhaust manifolds don't work). I was also looking at what Holley has to offer. I would love to drive the car to the 2014 LS Fest in September. :eek:

Thanks to all of you and I'm glad to be apart of the G Body family. :D

Sleeper Wagons
Accokeek, MD

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
between disney and bush garden,FL
welcome , now where to begin :) . sounds like we both were on the same ( old) page. as for install kits, I used all Holley , but almost all other CO. kits use headman hedders. I used the mids on my personal car, because it will be lowered, I switched to DBC and ordered a harness from PSI.com . ebayed a the correct pcm, had a start up flash from LT1swap.com . used a intank walbro 255lp pump/sender from Racetronix.com.after all was done had a proper tune @ a dyno shop. of course I just touched on the basics, but the aftermarket really supports these swaps now.

Attachments

• IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,172

Sleeper Wagons

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2014
Glad to hear from you and thanks for the great info.

It's almost like being a kid in a candy store. There are so many choicest! There was no problem swapping the 350 for the V-6 in my hot rod wagon. However; when I swapped in the BBC with head studs, it took a lot of putting on and taking off of the Hooker swap headers. They forgot to mention that you had to do a lot of grinding of the flanges to make them fit. Other than that it was a smooth swap. Holley's has 5 different engine mount sets. Then there are so many other company's offering LS Swap kits. I love to drive fast through corners just as much as drag racing. Because of this, I would think that engine should be installed in the stock location or be set back. But, do to the big A#@ trans (6L85/90E), I may have to move it forward. I know I will have to heat and hammer or cut and weld the tunnel to make this trans fit. I am leaning towards the BRP/Muscle Rod kit for the have a trans mount to fit the 6 speed trans and I like the looks of the engine mounts. However, I want what works.

I have a 9' rear in the hot rod wagon. Hopefully I can find a good posi 8.5 or another 9' for the soon to be LS wagon. Is there anyone out there running 68-72 Chevelle (A-Body) 12 Bolts in their G-Bodys ? I have not checked, but years ago, there were kits for this swap into G-Bodys.

Thanks again for your help,

Sleeper Wagons
Accokeek, MD

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
First off i just wanna say welcome to the best gbody site on the web.
But also i wanna apologize. Ive been ready to do a 5.3, 6.0, ls1, etc into my malibu for a couple months now but do not have a motor yet as im waiting for the annual auto swapmeet in my area which is next month. Recomending mounts, headers, and things like that i can give some opinions but for things like the pedal position gas pedal, ecm, or anything dealing with the stock gm fuel injection i cant really help with although im pretty good at msd and holley fuel injection.

Im not sure about your 6 speed but i know if you wanna keep the factory trans crossmember for lets say 2004r or th350 just examples there dont waste money on motor mounts buy the 1 inch back plates for clamshell sbc mounts will work with most gbodys but since your going with a newer style transmission im not really sure to be honest. Those back plates basically make the ls drop in the same way as a factory chevy 350. I think camaro and corvette exhaust manifolds will fit nicely around factory steering box while truck manifolds wont. Ive also seen people use Fbody headers and flip the collecters around and they fit nicely saving some money on gbody headers. As for the gas pedal i think the after market has a kit where using the ls2 intake you can convert to a throttle cable insted of a sensor. Ive never had a g8 oil pan so i dont know about clearance but i know the gm muscle car pan and a cadilac cts v pan fit nice.

Sorry for starting to babble on but thats little things i know about LS swaps

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
The website I lined Ali has adjustable it 'slider' motor mounts that allow you to move the motor forwards or backwards. The also have ctsv oil pan kits, which are supposed to be the best for gbody swaps.

Sleeper Wagons

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2014
Thanks Guys,

It's great that we can all come together like this to share info. I can look at the G8 oil pan and see the sump portion is a twice as long (front to back) as the Holley and other recommended oil pans.

Thanks again,

Sleeper Wagons

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Sleeper Wagons said:
I have a 9' rear in the hot rod wagon. Hopefully I can find a good posi 8.5 or another 9' for the soon to be LS wagon. Is there anyone out there running 68-72 Chevelle (A-Body) 12 Bolts in their G-Bodys ? I have not checked, but years ago, there were kits for this swap into G-Bodys.

Thanks again for your help,

Sleeper Wagons
Accokeek, MD

I know for a fact that UMI Performance has rear control arms just for that rear swap.

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
Don't kill the messenger but you may have a real challenge getting the 6 speed auto trans. to fit. I have read a lot a stories from different cars many larger then yours and after a while they give up and go with a 4 speed like a 4l70 or 4l85. The 6 speed is a huge trans. and will require a new larger tunnel, [a lot larger from what I have seen] so set back will make it worse. If you do it good luck.

Sleeper Wagons

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2014
Ha Ya'll,
First of all let me say I appreciate all of the responses and info that I receive. There will be no killing of the messenger here! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Believe me, I wanted to 4L80/85E which is a large trans; however, I wanted a packaged deal and I had to have that G8 LS-2. I am no stranger to Hot Rodding and getting greasy. I am in too deep ($$$$) to turn back now. I will make the trans fit even if I have to cut out the old tunnel and fab and weld in a new one. I am more concerned with the wiring, fuel delivery, cooling, which is the better swap kit over another and why? Will the G8 exhaust manifolds fit or should I just put on headers? Which oil pan should I use that will not hang below the crossmember; Chevy Muscle Car, LH8, Holley, etc.? How do I post pics of my wagons?

Thanks,
Sleeper Wagons

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor