Need Pics of factory car jack in trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
When I found a mint 80' malibu in the junk yard, I pulled almost every piece off of it. Had a mint black interior that had been protected by the limo tint from the Texas sun. Well scored lucky and found a complete factory car jack in the trunk as well. Funny thing is I have no clue on how it's supposed to go in the car. Anyone have pics of what its supposed to look like???

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
i can look this weekend in my car, i am pretty sure mine is still in there. I will try to snap a few pictures for you

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The jack bolts in at the bottom with a hole in the ratchet bar. The other end is up towards the back of the trunk with the pad with the round piece that holds to the frame facing the quarter panel and the base that rests on the ground facing the cargo area of the trunk with a bolt running through it to secure it to the car. The tire iron slides in to the jack, and is held by a bracket on the bottom with the same bolt that holds in the ratchet bar. It's hard to explain, but I remember how it goes from when I had mine in my car 10 years ago.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Yeah that is really complicated. I have a tire iron but its not the factory one. I think a pic will really make things easier but i cannot find one.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
If I can find the rest of my jacking tools (let's see... the jack is on the lawn, some brackets are on the garage floor, some are on the porch, and the tire iron is MIA and broken) I will try to take some pics.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I figured out how it was supposed to go lol. I thought those jacks were pieces of crap but then again i'm an 18 yo who's never seen that design or even used it. A little WD-40 inside that jack and it raised that malibu right off the ground like it was nothing. For once I'm impressed by old technology :D I just have to make a threaded hook that goes through the base plate when it's placed over the spare. I think I chucked the factory one way back when we first got the car.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
When I was looking at it, I was really skeptical about its abilities because it doesn't look like anything fancy. I had a scissor jack but that was a nightmare the one time I had to use it. So i'm very impressed with the factory jack and even my dad told me that particular style jack is one of the best ever made from the factory. Just don't know why some many people chucked if they were so good. It's pretty hard to find one complete nowadays.

1979mc

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2008
Houston TX
outsider_27 said:
I trust those old bumper jacks way more than any factory jack out there today!
X2 THERE BADASS BUT I WILL NEVER JACK MY MONTE UP WITH ONE. :(
THEY ****ING SUCK FOR 78-80 MONTES

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
patmckinneyracing said:
I figured out how it was supposed to go lol. I thought those jacks were pieces of crap but then again i'm an 18 yo who's never seen that design or even used it. A little WD-40 inside that jack and it raised that malibu right off the ground like it was nothing. For once I'm impressed by old technology :D I just have to make a threaded hook that goes through the base plate when it's placed over the spare. I think I chucked the factory one way back when we first got the car.

I probably have a few hooks around here somewhere. Do you also have the round retainer plate and the plastic nut for the spare? If not, shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor