Need some answers on header gaskets/hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
I've narrowed my gasket choice to either Remflex or Mr. Gasket Ultra seal...or possibly Earl's

True or False, Ultra Seals can be trimmed to match ports without damaging the gasket.

On Remflex...I've seen ratings at 50/50. People rate them as POS/Awesome. For those with experience using them, do you think that the bad experiences are a direct result of not following the directions and specs? I've also read about how fragile these are. True or False, can Remflex be trimmed to match ports without damaging the gasket.

Who's using Earl's, any leaks?

Also, I've been told that cutting the gasket into three pieces, like so...
cut_gasket.jpg

will provide a superior seal. It sounds logical; less surface area=less imperfections...but is it legitimate? Anyone ever done this?

As for hardware, what exact type of lock washers are being used by you guys? I'm considering getting some total locs but if I can just get some lock washers from the hardware store that would be better (cheaper) for now. I think I've seen those types of washers at ACE before, but now I can't find them. Anyone know what their technical name is?

Thanks in advance

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
I've ruled out Remflex, decided not to take a risk at that price when I could a set of Earl's for about six buck more. Right now I'm leaning towards the Jegs brand which seem to be made pretty much identical to the Ultra Seals, but with a slightly larger port hole.

I assume everyone is using a split style lock washer. Although, I'm still curious as to what kind Total Loc uses.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Other than using aluminum or copper header gaskets, I've had good luck with Ultra Seal gaskets over the years. I've never blown one out yet.
As for cutting the gaskets, I think I'd leave 'em whole..leave them in one piece.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
The ones I use from my Felpro gasket sets are 3 piece gsakets, and I love them. The bolt holes are slotted open on the bottom so you can get all the bolts started and then just drop them in place. :idea:

FPG #MS9275B

Crazcnuk

Apprentice
Aug 26, 2011
Hinton, AB
I used solid copper header gaskets for about 2 years, but could never get them to seal (can't tighten them enough on aluminum heads). I finally bought a set of the crappy gaskets that come with the headers, and have been using them for 11 years.

I have never blown out a header gasket. as long as they are kept tight, the gasket material really isn't an issue.

I use aluminum dump tub gaskets, however, for their ability to stay together through numerous removals.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
RITTER said:
The ones I use from my Felpro gasket sets are 3 piece gsakets, and I love them. The bolt holes are slotted open on the bottom so you can get all the bolts started and then just drop them in place. :idea:

FPG #MS9275B

Good to know, thanks!

CAPERKEV

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2011
heres a trick i was told about years ago, take the gaskets, soak em in water, after 15 minutes, install, tighten let em dry 20 run car, been doin this since i was told, an never had a leak, an i used all gaskets i could find in a pinch, fel pro is the best in my book, but hey what do i know

13bravo

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2011
Hudson, NY
As bar as the bolts go, just drill the bolt head and safety wire them. It works extremely well, and is relatively easy to do.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
i have had really good luck when using the stock exhaust manifold gaskets on headers, along with the layered aluminum and copper header gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor