Need some answers on header gaskets/hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Regular cheap gaskets always eventually burn out deteriorate and leak. Not that their are not garage queens that have not been on there for 40 years and still don't leak. But if you drive them daily in all weather and the car sits outside its only a matter of time. Am I anti header gasket no. I have had great luck with the Remflex. Read their website and you will understand why they seal better and do not burn out.

Hardware I just used regular header bolts with them and have never had them back out. I think this is because in part the gasket helps hold them snug so that they don't back out. I was intrigued though by the locking header bolts that have like an allen wrench thing inside the head that is used to lock them. Headers are a great upgrade done right.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
dogshit said:
I have had great luck with the Remflex. Read their website and you will understand why they seal better and do not burn out.
I've read over the website a few times and like what they're saying. Especially about the rebound factor so the bolts don't back out. However, i've read horror stories about them and have seen pictures where the gasket had chunks fall out while it was installed. I ended up gettin the jegs brand with a steel core sandwiched between graphite outer layers. They were $15 and it won't feel like as much of a waste if they fail within a short time span. And if they do, I think I'll try the Earls gaskets.

I was intrigued though by the locking header bolts that have like an allen wrench thing inside the head that is used to lock them.
Me too, but i've read about people having the allen head screw break rendering a lot of work to remove the bolt. I ordered some ARP bolts and Mr. Gasket split lock washers. I've read that a few people have used them, including 85 Cutlass Brogham, with no problems.

Headers are a great upgrade done right.
Agreed, which is why I refuse to use shorties.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
CAPERKEV said:
heres a trick i was told about years ago, take the gaskets, soak em in water, after 15 minutes, install, tighten let em dry 20 run car, been doin this since i was told, an never had a leak, an i used all gaskets i could find in a pinch, fel pro is the best in my book, but hey what do i know

Ever do this on gaskets with graphite?

Crazcnuk

Apprentice
Aug 26, 2011
Hinton, AB
"Regular cheap gaskets always eventually burn out deteriorate and leak. Not that their are not garage queens that have not been on there for 40 years and still don't leak. But if you drive them daily in all weather and the car sits outside its only a matter of time."

Mine have been in there for a decade or so and I drive the car several times a week, and It has never been garaged. I raced the car regularily for the first year after I changed to the Mr Gasket 'cheap' gaskets. I've had far more trouble with the slip joints, than the gaskets.

I still have the copper ones around here somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor