Need Some Feedback on Line Lock/Roll or Stage Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Dknapp10 said:
Yeah I pretty much just want to use the line lock as a transbrake, the reputable transbrake people that I have talked to don't advise me putting one in with a 700r. If I choose to go this rout I would probably run a 2 step limiter at 2000 or 2500 I don't know how the front brakes would hold up to that though by themselves. I could put a rear disk conversion on and lock all 4 without getting to costly but I don't want to do it if I don't have to. Let's I try the front brakes out and they don't hold up at 2000 or 2500 could I by just the fitting for all 4 brakes or would I need the buy the whole thing?

if you want to use all 4 brakes that would be called foot braking just use the pedal. the whole point of a line lock is to lock the fronts with no backs being used to aid in holding the car in the water box.

Dknapp10

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 12, 2014
Yes I am aware of what a line lock is SUPPOSED to be and normally used for. This is a car that I drive to the track and race. Due to the class times regulations I will be running with cars cutting good lights on a button. The reputable people that I have talked to do not recommend putting a transbrake in a 3100LB car with a 700r. Which brings me to this idea. I am only asking for feedback concerning on how to make this work. I am not asking you what you would do. I do not plan on making the car slower to run other classes and I do not want to to replace the transmission. Thank You.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
You and everyone that has put one in has tried to do the same thing you are thinking of doing. I won't work. You are putting a different trans in so just put a trans brake in a th350 or a glide and go from their.

Dknapp10

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 12, 2014
lilbowtie said:
You asked for feedback - accept it!!
I accept it completely, and I appreciate the advice given. I am trying to find an in expensive way to run something similar to a transbrake and this seems to be the most common way and it sounds like it is a better suite for a street car anyways. With all do respect I have no care in the world with what anyone on here does with their car or prefers. I am simply trying to find an alternative to a transbrake; something that allows me to have my gas pedal to the floor and launch with a button at any rpms. Apologies for any confusion.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly the best way to do that without a transbrake is with an aftermarket ignition system. I have an MSD digital 6 and I can set any rpm I want and once I engage it (simple 12v input) the MSD cuts my ignition at that RPM and varies which cylinder it drops so as not to load up the fuel and my foot can be WOT and the engine just lugs at that set RPM until I release the 12v and then rockets back to full power and launches. Depending on your class that is not always allowed, but works great. I have also seen tracks that outlaw using line lock at the line and only legal for burnouts, so verify rules before you invest in whichever route you go. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
You asked for feedback and you got it. The general consensus from reading the feedback is that it will not work. And that's not even considering my earlier post about my experience with exactly what you are trying to do.
You obviously have your mind made up so the next post on this topic should be you letting the rest of us know how it worked out for you.
Good luck with your project.

Dknapp10

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 12, 2014
CWPottenger said:
Honestly the best way to do that without a transbrake is with an aftermarket ignition system. I have an MSD digital 6 and I can set any rpm I want and once I engage it (simple 12v input) the MSD cuts my ignition at that RPM and varies which cylinder it drops so as not to load up the fuel and my foot can be WOT and the engine just lugs at that set RPM until I release the 12v and then rockets back to full power and launches. Depending on your class that is not always allowed, but works great. I have also seen tracks that outlaw using line lock at the line and only legal for burnouts, so verify rules before you invest in whichever route you go. Good luck.

I am not familiar with the MSD Ignition system, or line lock obviously. I'll try to do my homework on it but feel to give some detail about it and or advice. I appreciate it. The class I was previously running is strictly footbrake. The class I will have to run now is button friendly unless it's a top bulb car. I've only heard of people running line locks for staging and launching. From what I understand (which is not a lot) They use some sort of 2 step limiter. One step set at low rpms that the breaks can hold at the lights and launch when the line lock button is released. Second step set however the driver wants, more than likely whatever the cam pulls to I would assume.

Dknapp10

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 12, 2014
Chris Van said:
You asked for feedback and you got it. The general consensus from reading the feedback is that it will not work. And that's not even considering my earlier post about my experience with exactly what you are trying to do.
You obviously have your mind made up so the next post on this topic should be you letting the rest of us know how it worked out for you.
Good luck with your project.

I apologize for anything I've said that is misleading, I'm trying, emphasis on trying to keep an open mind. I appreciate everyone trying to help, sharing experience, and giving advice. It really does help out a lot. I am far from making a decision on what I will do. I would like to find a cheaper alternative to launch my car on a button so that I can keep up with these guys on the tree. And I do not plan on changing my transmission. I love my overdrive as it helps keep my car more streetable and would like to maintain it.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Dknapp10 said:
I am not familiar with the MSD Ignition system, or line lock obviously. I'll try to do my homework on it but feel to give some detail about it and or advice. I appreciate it. The class I was previously running is strictly footbrake. The class I will have to run now is button friendly unless it's a top bulb car. I've only heard of people running line locks for staging and launching. From what I understand (which is not a lot) They use some sort of 2 step limiter. One step set at low rpms that the breaks can hold at the lights and launch when the line lock button is released. Second step set however the driver wants, more than likely whatever the cam pulls to I would assume.

What I described w/ the MSD rpm limits is a 2-step. they can be used in varying ways. One way is what you want where you engage by holding a button and put your foot on the pedals with throttle WOT. When you release button engine jumps to full power and since you are off idle and just below converters stall rating the car leaves the line quicker and more consistently. They can also be used to limit RPM's in the lower gears to keep from breaking the tires loose and not having to worry about feathering throttle off the line to reduce wheel hop. Generally speaking if you are only looking to hold the car @ the converter's stall rating the brakes should hold it. If your running skinnies then that will be tough to hold under any real torque.

The best advise I could give you is walk around in the pits and talk to the locals. I know at my local track most all of the racers are helpful and like most car guys love to talk tech and be helpful. Also if you don't have one yet get the NHRA rule book and your tracks local rules as they sometimes differ from NHRA class rules being either more or less restrictive.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor