Need someone to build me a rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
OK, this won't be until the summer probably. But I have an Idea I'm gonna throw out here.

I need someone to build me a rear end. And rather than find an 8.5, then get it shipped here. And then rounding up all the parts, just to have one of the jack-*ss mechanics in my area screw it up. I would rather find someone on here who knows what they're doing and has a good rep build one for me. I live in Canada if that makes any difference.

So here is what I would like. If anyone can and would want to do this. What would it cost?

I want a good g-body 8.5. Then I want the axl tubes welded. I want the LPW axle tube braces welded on. I want the lower trailing arm mounts that have multiple mounting holes. Inside I want fresh 4.11:1 gears And a good strong limited slip diff (debating on a locker). All new fasteners and deals. New strong aftermarket axles. New brakes with a set of aluminum drums. Close it up with an LPW support cover and the LPW axle tube braces. And a set of Edelbrock Anti-Hop bars. Also, any other little tricks that can be done to these rears.

So that's what I want. How much would someone charge to build this rear?

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
What is the most horsepower/torque you will ever have in your car? Your building an expensive rear that will be inferior to a GM 12 bolt or a Ford 9" and cost you just as much. If you want to spend that kind of cash try a 9". I have $1000 in mine with my own brakes supplied and my own 3rd member (gears). Got it here. http://www.quickperformance.com/ Otherwise go with a stock 8.5 for $800-$1000 used. Unless you plan on big motor upgrades that should be plenty good enough for your application.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Well I probably won't ever have more than 400-450HP in this car. But that won't be for some time.

I am just a bit leery of those 9" and 12 bolts because of the one thing they all seem to have in common. They seem to make the rear of the car sit higher.

My rear springs are stock now. And I want it down about 2" as it is. So with one of those aftermarket ones, I'm gonna be needing a 4" drop rear spring. And I don't think I have seen them before. Otherwise I would go for one of those 12 bolts for sure.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
If all you're planning on is 400-450 hp, a stock 8.5 will be fine.

Just get some upgraded axles, and swap over all the rest of the suspension goodies you put onto your 7.5...

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Well damn. The $1200 brake job that is getting done as I type this is gonna set me back a month or two now. GRRRR!

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
what? 1200 bucks is slightly overcharging. unless someone is doing new everything including master, booster, prop valve and lines too... my 8.5 in my car is as stock as it gets. and i know im putting down over 500 at the wheels with no issues. in my opinion, getting a 9 or a twelve boltin is simply a better idea in the longrun. the height on the rear of the car will not change unless you use shorter or longer springs. if you buy an aftermarket diff and use your springs, then it should sit exactly the same. you can try late 80's-90's camaro rear springs for a little less height in the rear.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Everything on the wheel end had to be replaced. calipers, pads, disks, drums, cylinders, shoes. Believe me, the brakes on this car are the worst I have ever had. I know there was a lot of issues with them.

But back to the rear ends. I have read many places that all those aftermarket rears will cause your car to sit a couple inches higher beause of something to do with the axle tubes. They did take into consideration that the 9" and 12 bolt have larger tubes. So it throws off the mounts a bit.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
Damn $1200 for brakes. Your getting raped! 4 wheel C4 Vette discs on my wagon cost me $600 total. Granted I did all the work and some maching too. But still. For your application I would go with the stock 8.5. I would also tell the guy doing your brakes NOT to do the rear. Put that money towards the 8.5. It may come with good brakes on it.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
SafariWagon said:
...I would also tell the guy doing your brakes NOT to do the rear. Put that money towards the 8.5. It may come with good brakes on it.

Another advantage to using an 8.5 over a 12 bolt or 9 inch, all the brake parts will swap over.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Check out this guy, http://www.jdrace.com/ . He is out of Ohio. Don't know if the shipping would kill you too much, but this guy is an expert on rear ends. Don't know if he posts here, but he does on other forums and it seems like he can answer and questions that people have about rear ends. I don't think he is too expensive either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor