CUTLASS Need suspension guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
It really comes down to what you actually want. If you like the idea of piecing components together, sourcing used parts to save money, and doing a lot of reading, you really can't beat the list UNGN came up with.

If the thought of doing that seems overwhelming, just bite the bullet and buy a good kit. I've done both. They both have their pro's and cons. I currently have a complete RideTech front end kit on my car with HQ coilovers. If I don't like the ride height I can change it in ten minutes with a single tool. But it costs more up front than piecing a kit together...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

oLdS1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2018
Van Wert OH
I appreciate the detail UNGN. I wouldn't say it's a daily driver but more of a weekend toy that Ill get on the road once in a while. I'll look into what you have listed and may go that route. I don't have a problem junkyard shopping at all as it's relaxation for the mind haha! I'm undecided on a kit or piecing it out, the UMI stage 3 I looked at last night is tempting and looks to be a good starting point as well. I've not bought anything from them but from what I read on here they seem to be good parts. Thanks to everyone for the help and guidance, I'd be lost and all over the road without it.

Cuttin up

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 24, 2010
Powhatan, VA
I'm late to the party, as usual, but my wagon has 2" UMI performance springs and their sway bars all around with belltech drop shocks on all four corners. It does well in day to day driving, its a bit firm but handles light years ahead of all the worn out stock stuff and the price point is really good compared to all the other companies out there. Its not an autocross car, just a sporty driver.... Just throwing my 2 cents in.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
UMI has great products for these G bodies and their products get tested and abused on their Green Machine

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Unless I'm building a car for a specific type of racing, like 1/4 mile or autocross or rallycross, I try to make it perform like a modern performance car, so It can take off ramps fast, have good brakes and be comfortable on typical roads. If you are going to race/put sticky tires on an LS1 car, you'll also need to improve the rear axle and control arms, but if you are just going to drive it on the street, the stock stuff will be fine for a while, at least until it breaks.

Vendors make good parts but I like any excuse to go the junkyard and pulling/repurposing parts. I would rather walk a couple miles in a junkyard than on a treadmill. Some Vendor parts, like adjustable front upper control arms, are a "phase 2" mod where you want "more caster" or "to get rid of all the shims". You don't absolutely need them right away, but you may want to add them later to make incremental improvements.

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Hello anyone that can steer me in the right direction...

What I have is an 86 Salon that I am in the finishing stages of an LS1 swap on. Suspension and wheel and tire upgrades are my next mountain to climb. My question is what is the best route to take for the suspension end. I am looking to run an 18x9.5 rear and 18x8 front replacing the 14s on the car now. My suspension is all stock at this point and my budget is $2500(ish).

I've looked at the BMR stage 2 kit, the Ridetech Streetgrip and some others as well but prices are all over. If I can do this in stages I am not opposed to spending more if need be but am looking to get the biggest bang for the buck at this point. The car is a street car with a little lower and will not be raced. Just looking for good handling and more of a "sport" feel. If anyone can help I would appreciate it tons!

Good morning.

Ramey here from UMI.

We are building a ton of cool G body stuff and I can help you.

The nice thing about suspension is that it's additive. You can do it in stages.

Springs, shocks and sway bars first. Then work on geometry and stiffness.

If you're in Ohio, shipping cost is minimal no matter how you split it. Full kits are nice but honestly I work with just as many piece-by-piece builds.

Hit me at [email protected] and we can discuss...

thx

ramey

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor