Need to double check my work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Okay so I need to get a measurement of the axle flange offset. So I took the drum off and measured it with my questionably trustworthy Harbor Freight digital micrometer (and then again with a manual Starrett micrometer which is much more reliable) and I came up with a measurement of approximately 2.5"

I assume that this is not exact since the backing plate and shoes were still in place and I just used a piece of steel to approximate where the flange would be and measured off of that.

The rotor hat and register were exactly what this diagram shows.

Attachments

• axle_offset-lg.jpg
    axle_offset-lg.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 120

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Well, I made an actual measurement with everything stripped back to the flange and was at 2.71 so I went with the 2.75 Wilwood kit. Now, that said, I have an 8.5 in my 442 that has an SAE center [supposed to be metric] with metric tubes so I think it is a bit of a kluged together piece despite being the original rear end that I bought in the car new in late '86. Don't know if this helps you or not?

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Well, I made an actual measurement with everything stripped back to the flange and was at 2.71 so I went with the 2.75 Wilwood kit. Now, that said, I have an 8.5 in my 442 that has an SAE center [supposed to be metric] with metric tubes so I think it is a bit of a kluged together piece despite being the original rear end that I bought in the car new in late '86. Don't know if this helps you or not?
It does help, thank you. I've seen other people get measurements between 2.68 and 2.77, and I've also heard that the axle can "settle in" with age (and this axle has NEVER been rebuilt) so the measurement may be off due to that, on top of my imprecise methods.

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
One other detail too: The application I'm going for is for a Moser 12 Bolt rear end, and they need to know the measurement for the brake application I'm using which are RWD Blazer brakes.

If that seems like an odd combination, then just chalk that up to the fact that I seem to have an affinity for those.

Plus, going with RWD blazer brakes in the rear keeps them the same as the ones in the front which makes buying pads easier at the parts store :)

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor