Need ya'll opinions on a paint color/option...

Status
Not open for further replies.

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
As my screen name shows, I've got a '87 Cutlass 442....I'm trying to bring back this paint job, except 10 times better:

281he9h.jpg

Instead of the factory color, I'm thinking of using this 2 colors: House of Kolor Galaxy Grey (top) and Orion Silver (bottom):

Top: (Galaxy Grey)
BC03.jpg

Bottom: (Orion Silver)
BC02.jpg

NOW, the MAIN question is...the stripe kit is Gold (of course)...one of my friends suggested that I have the stripe kit and 442 decals done in Red, which I think would look hot as hell, BUT....do you think that it would lower the resale value of it, since it's not the original Gold kit? Also, would the average person think it's not a "real 442" because of the Red color?

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
You would lower it either way by not painting it using factory colors.I like the grey and silver,but i would leave the stripe kit gold,red wouldnt look right on a 442.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The color of the stripes won't hurt the value on paper, but it may make it difficult to sell if people don't like it.

I've seen a 442 that had stripes in red instead of gold, and it looked awful... But that's just one mans opinion.
I do like those colors you chose, but I would definately stick with the gold stripes.

I'm kinda fond of the factory color sceme, but I may be biased... :p

3895230079_large.jpg

robwkamm

Apprentice
Jun 16, 2009
Teaneck NJ
yourt getting close to the 84 H/O colors if you go red on the stripes. i would do the gold. i like it better. but do what you love. every one has a opinion on colors. i really like silver cars.

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
maybe you could find a one shade off gold that looks like stock but better.

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
Blake442 said:
The color of the stripes won't hurt the value on paper, but it may make it difficult to sell if people don't like it.

I've seen a 442 that had stripes in red instead of gold, and it looked awful... But that's just one mans opinion.
I do like those colors you chose, but I would definately stick with the gold stripes.

I'm kinda fond of the factory color sceme, but I may be biased... :p

3895230079_large.jpg

Lol...I hear you on the factory color! It's nice...that's why I chose to stick w/the variation of it, just a slightly darker grey on top with more of a "glossy" look to it. My friend suggested Red, which I figured would look pretty good...there's a Charger in our city with those colors (I'll try and find a pic) and it looks good the way he placed the colors. I was more-so concerned with the stripe, cause I've seen people repaint GN's and other iconic cars diff.colors, and you dont think they are what they are...just a Regal with decals and a spoiler on the trunk! I didnt want people to think I tried to "clone" a Cutlass Salon into a 442

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
i wouldnt change a thing about the paint scheme. While they werent big powerhouses or anything, the 442/ H/O's were kind of a specialty package ( if u wanna call it "specialty", couldnt think of any other word). Id keep it factory. But thats just my 2 cents.

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
cdg1984 said:
i wouldnt change a thing about the paint scheme. While they werent big powerhouses or anything, the 442/ H/O's were kind of a specialty package ( if u wanna call it "specialty", couldnt think of any other word). Id keep it factory. But thats just my 2 cents.

Well, the car has a little bit of rust and is faded, so the car has to be repainted regardless.....if I'm gonna spend money on it, I might as well make it somethin that I want. I'm redoing the original scheme...just adding a bit more "umph" to it.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of "restomods"...older cars with new technology. The insides will be fiberglassed with leather/suede, digital dash, etc. I've never been a fan of leaving a car the way I found it...seems too boring to me. It's great for resale value, but hey...I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Somebody would be crazy not to get it because of something like that.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
If you are just going to drive the car around then do whatever you want. It really only matters if you plan on showing it or if you intend to make some money off of it. If you are showing it or going to sell it, the original color is your best bet. It looks bad when you open the doors or hood on a color changed car and you see a different color. But in the end, it's your car so do whatever makes you smile when you see it.

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
carmangary said:
If you are just going to drive the car around then do whatever you want. It really only matters if you plan on showing it or if you intend to make some money off of it. If you are showing it or going to sell it, the original color is your best bet. It looks bad when you open the doors or hood on a color changed car and you see a different color. But in the end, it's your car so do whatever makes you smile when you see it.

"open the doors and see a different color"?! Who does that?! Man, when I get my stuff painted, it's door jambs, under the hood and all...no half-assing around here.

...And I'll be showing it at different shows. It may not get as much "respect" by some of the purists at Good Guys, World of Wheels, etc, but I'm sure it'll still be appreciated for putting an "up to date" spin on a few things. If you've seen one "fully-restored" 442, then technically you've seen them all. I went to a show during the summer with all Hurst Olds, and seeing one was like looking at all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor