Needing "390919" > Oil Drain Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The evidence of broken chains doesn't interest you?
I've been messing with cars for a minute, and have never seen a broken chain. Stretched? Yes. Broken? No. What's the history? Brand? Circumstances during breakage?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

84 El Camino 231

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2018
I only called you weird because you asked for it. I don't think anyone, ever has replaced a metal timing gear with a plastic one unless it's some high soot, carbon fiber belt drive system.

I agree, I prefer the metal gear as well but there are some folks who actually switched back to the plastic gear after witnessing an afro on their drain plug. The afro disappeared.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Yes, many people do upgrade to double roller but those scare me a little.
The evidence of broken chains doesn't interest you?
If I based my thoughts on double rollers off the pictures you posted then I would leery also, but not knowing what actually happened to the engine in question there could have been an engine failure that locked up the engine at high RPM causing the chain to snap.
I have been running double rollers in my 550+ cubic inch big blocks for many years and spinning them to 7400+ RPM and I trust them to do their job as a failure would not only be catastrophic it would also be extremely costly.
I don't use magnetic drain plugs but I do use high powered magnets on my dual oil filter set ups and will cut the filter for inspections.
I get that you are probably not into the performance aspect of engine building and if a nylon gear works for you then go for it.

84 El Camino 231

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2018
I've been messing with cars for a minute, and have never seen a broken chain. Stretched? Yes. Broken? No. What's the history? Brand? Circumstances during breakage?

All good questions! :) Those roller chain examples above are 231 turbo V6 blocks running roller cams. I have other examples of broken OEM roller chains, quality may be an issue, who knows what bean counters are up to, it's not clear to me, I just see with my eyes.

Last edited:

84 El Camino 231

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2018
I get that you are probably not into the performance aspect of engine building and if a nylon gear works for you then go for it.

I'm not sure you understood, I didn't say I prefer the nylon gear. I also cut open my filters but not every time but do look at the magnetic drain plug every time. My experience comes from street motors mostly, family cars. I'm not a drag strip guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor