Needing "390919" > Oil Drain Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I thought this thread would of died after the OP "decided" they didn't want to hang out with us. Need to invest in popcorn.
1558278851637.png

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
GM chose the material, considering all the well-heeled knowledge here I'm surprised I'm the only one who knew?
I have only seen one in person on my buddy's big block and all of the teeth were worn off, just one of many bad ideas GM had back then.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I have only seen one in person on my buddy's big block and all of the teeth were worn off, just one of many bad ideas GM had back then.
I have an NOS chain/sprocket set. Nylon gears on the aluminum sprocket. It came in a box of parts I picked up in a "Lot". I would never recommend it unless you REALLY wanted to go full stock. I think it would be stupid as you couldn't hear the difference anyway. At least I never could. At minimum I would never use anything less than a good, quality single roller. Double is better, but for stock replacement...I've always used Hamburger's chain sets.

In case anyone has never seen a nylon cam gear in one piece and any other color than burnt orange...….here's what an NOS one looks like.

Nylon Cam Sprocket 381263.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
In case anyone has never seen a nylon cam gear in one piece and any other color than burnt orange...….here's what an NOS one looks like.
On my buddy's big block when we first tore it apart and saw the came sprocket we both looked at each other like "WTF" the teeth we not broken but were actually worn down to little nubs then we were dumbfounded as to why GM would even do this and then to find out this was the trade off to reduce valve train noise it seemed like a bad joke.

84 El Camino 231

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2018
All I am saying is from a performance aspect a nylon toothed gear would never come up for consideration for any parts list.

Right, I'm not opposed to Detroit's choice entirely, surely they had their reasons

Trust me, plastic gears were all over the place for a while, it's not something I made up.
:unsure: so, not even your engine?

This is hilarious, too funny! :)

84 El Camino 231

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2018
On my buddy's big block when we first tore it apart and saw the came sprocket we both looked at each other like "WTF" the teeth we not broken but were actually worn down to little nubs then we were dumbfounded as to why GM would even do this and then to find out this was the trade off to reduce valve train noise it seemed like a bad joke.

Or maybe Detroit was looking out for their service department? Anyway, IMO the nylon might not be such a poor choice depending on the expectation, I've not seen nylon fail before 80k miles and I can't say the same for fancy double-roller chains,

I was only posting about the lowly drain plug on my beater cars, seemed simple and innocent enough to spark great investigation into drag strip roller chain metallurgy as opposed to Detroit's choice for the family truckster.

Last edited:

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Another freakin' dead horse thread:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor