Neutral Safety (I know, its about 500 topics already)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
OK, it definitely has an electric safety switch...

Like almost every older GM in the 70's and 80's, when the column rotates and moves the mechanical linkage, it also rotates a switch at the base of the column under the dash that opens a circuit when the car is in reverse or drive (consequently closes a circuit when it is in reverse for backup lights) - This is what the switch looks like :
50881.jpg

and where it is located on the column

columnwiring01.jpg

by hooking the shifter linkage up to the aftermarket shifter you will still get the neutral safety to work. You can unplug the two plugs, and use spade connectors slid into the two pigtails and hooked to the microswitches in your shifter to do the same thing without the original shift linkage. I did that in my 1980 C10 which had the same switch on the column.

the rotating collar on the column will mechanically lock the key from turning when not in neutral or park, but if youdisconnect the factory linkage, keep the column collar in park position, you will be able to turn the key all the time, and the electrical switches in the shifter will keep the neutral circuit from transferring power to the starter.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
GT_80 said:

No it doesn't. This topic has been beaten to death on other forums as well. A G-Body does NOT have an electrical Neutral Safety switch like the older cars did. That connecter you show ( at least the one in the second pic ) is the gear selector switch for the reverse lights. On the CCC equipped vehicles, there's also a switch ( I'm pretty sure it just uses the same switch but I don't remember for sure ) that tells the ECM if you're in gear or not.

Yes, the parts books will have a listing for a part labeled 'Neutral Saftey Switch', but it's not really a nss at all.

If there are still people out there who want to dispute this, then they are free to do so. I on the other hand feel it's better to know the facts.

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
DoubleV said:
GT_80 said:

No it doesn't. This topic has been beaten to death on other forums as well. A G-Body does NOT have an electrical Neutral Safety switch like the older cars did. That connecter you show ( at least the one in the second pic ) is the gear selector switch for the reverse lights. On the CCC equipped vehicles, there's also a switch ( I'm pretty sure it just uses the same switch but I don't remember for sure ) that tells the ECM if you're in gear or not.

Yes, the parts books will have a listing for a part labeled 'Neutral Saftey Switch', but it's not really a nss at all.

If there are still people out there who want to dispute this, then they are free to do so. I on the other hand feel it's better to know the facts.

I guess I will find out when I get my car in a week or so- I am speaking from my GM experience which does not include direct Gbody experience. If the gear selector switch turns the backup lights on and off, and tell the computer (on computer controlled cars, which many are not) when the car is in gear, in my mind it is a neutral safety/reverse light switch. Gear selector... Same thing.

Again, I do not want to argue either, I could be wrong- wouldn't be the first (or second time :D )

based on my previous experience, I find it is best to use the stock gear selector on the column to run your lights and NSS - I think B&M or someone used to make a piece that bolted on the transmission that has the U shaped piece for the factory linkage as well as the hole for the aftermarket cable

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
GT_80 said:
If the gear selector switch turns the backup lights on and off, and tell the computer (on computer controlled cars, which many are not) when the car is in gear, in my mind it is a neutral safety/reverse light switch. Gear selector... Same thing.

It's not a 'neutral safety switch because it doesn't prevent the engine from starting in gear or not. When people use the term 'neutral safety switch', they are thinking it's a switch that won't allow your car to start when you're in gear. On a G-Body, that switch doesn't serve that function at all. I would wager not knowing this has caused many people some headaches over the years when working on their cars.

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
[quote="DoubleV"

It's not a 'neutral safety switch because it doesn't prevent the engine from starting in gear or not. When people use the term 'neutral safety switch', they are thinking it's a switch that won't allow your car to start when you're in gear. On a G-Body, that switch doesn't serve that function at all. I would wager not knowing this has caused many people some headaches over the years when working on their cars.[/quote]

OK, so inside the column, the mechanical piece that rotates when you turn the key must have some notches that physically stop the ignition cylinder from turning, and the gear selector switch must only operate the lights. That works.

I am really trying to understand it myself...

Rawlie Fingers

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2013
Calgary Alberta
Thank you all for your help.

I got a guy coming over tonight to give me a hand getting this all hooked up.

I will let you know hat we did and how we made out so you all can use it in the future.

Thanks again!!

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
OK, so inside the column, the mechanical piece that rotates when you turn the key must have some notches that physically stop the ignition cylinder from turning, and the gear selector switch must only operate the lights. That works.

I am really trying to understand it myself...

Something like that. I'm no column expert ( they can be pretty confusing ) but from my recollection, there's this 'finger-like' piece that moves when you turn the ignition switch to 'start'. That piece is able to move because it fits through a notch. When you're in gear ( remember the whole column rotates when you move through the gears ) that notch doesn't line up with that 'finger' which won't allow it to move. Since the finger can't move, it won't start. Something like that anyway.

The switch on the column that most refer to as the neutral saftey switch is just a switch for your reverse lights and I'm pretty sure that same switch also has another connecter on it that plugs into the ECM. That just tells the ECM if you're in gear or not so it can adjust some things accordingly ( probably just some timing advance ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor