Neutral Safety Switch One More Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
That brown/black wire has nothing to do with the actual neutral safety. On Our columns the part that rotates weather column shift or floor shift has a mechanical part that stops the key from going all the way to the start position unless in the park or neutral location. Factory floor shift cars still have linkage hooked to the column for this reason. To rotate the interlock.

So in the end that plug wont stop the car from cranking in gear no matter what/where its hooked up to now that the column has been changed ? I guess I'll just have to tape it off, stick it back up under the dash and use the relay set up from Painless. Ive said this before, I can do a decent amount of stuff but wiring isnt a strong point.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
This is what I have. Tech guy from Painless said the inline diode can be taken out since I dont have an ECM.
60122.jpg

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
So in the end that plug wont stop the car from cranking in gear no matter what/where its hooked up to now that the column has been changed ? I guess I'll just have to tape it off, stick it back up under the dash and use the relay set up from Painless. Ive said this before, I can do a decent amount of stuff but wiring isnt a strong point.
Those wires are a park/neutral input for the ecm not for starter

Reactions: 1 user

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
This is what I have. Tech guy from Painless said the inline diode can be taken out since I dont have an ECM. View attachment 113252
I'm not familiar with that kit but basically you would cut the purple starter wire from ignition switch and wire in that relay. Then follow how painless says to wire the relay up to the microswitch on your shifter. You might have to adjust your microswitch , my b&m is slotted for adjustment. But I never hooked up the neutral safety , I can rotate the column down and leave the key in and it it won't start for a security feature lol

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The 2 wires that interrupt the starter are the purple and yellow. Some of the earlier models (78-81) will have a 2 prong plug under the left side of the dash. On cars built with a manual transmission this was to be the clutch pedal switch (push the pedal to complete the circuit) so the engine would only crank if the pedal was down. Cars with an automatic transmission would have a jumper installed in the plug.
You can look to see if you have this connector and use it for a neutral safety switch connection.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
On the B&M NSS switch : put one side to ground and the other to the Painful relay.

Thats the current plan I guess. I was reallly hoping to get away with the factory harness thinking I missed something. Either way I guess I wont be touching my car much until I get this knee issue straightened out.
Thanks for all the info guys !!!!

YungFlip43

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2018
That's why people say when installing aftermarket floor shifter to leave the linkage hooked up to turn the mechanical part in the column if you want factory neutral safety action.
What is that linkage called? Trying to figure out how to get one myself for the SS iBought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor