thanks

That means we should be expecting some video soon right? :lol:
I will take a video of the first firing off after the cam break in

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hmmm. 143 heads have 1.92/1.64 valves. Most of the good 4 barrel heads are 2.11/1.77. Not an issue with a stock manifold, but may be a restriction with the Torker, even with the .450 cam. If you have breathing problems, I'd look at the heads/intake combo. FWIW, stock Pontiac 4 barrel intake manifolds are just about perfect for a stockish V-8. My buddy runs a Torker too, but with the 2.11/1.77 heads and too much cam and it screams. Of course if it runs great, just ignore me and carry on, I sometimes think too much. :roll:

green79gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2011
Eugene,Ore
Bonnewagon said:
Hmmm. 143 heads have 1.92/1.64 valves. Most of the good 4 barrel heads are 2.11/1.77. Not an issue with a stock manifold, but may be a restriction with the Torker, even with the .450 cam. If you have breathing problems, I'd look at the heads/intake combo. FWIW, stock Pontiac 4 barrel intake manifolds are just about perfect for a stockish V-8. My buddy runs a Torker too, but with the 2.11/1.77 heads and too much cam and it screams. Of course if it runs great, just ignore me and carry on, I sometimes think too much. :roll:
I have read that 143's had 1.92-.196 depending on the site you look at,they are a closed chamber heads and in 67
on a 400 with a 2bbl intake @ 290 hp with a 4bbl @ 333hp , cant find a stock 4bbl intake around here so my options were
the stock 2bbl,the torker or a offy intake that maybe cracked, I added the divider plate to the torker similar to what they used on the old weiand single planes to help with the low end. should be ready for street duty this weekend.
thanks for the help

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
b-wagon is correct , some of your build is mismatched , not meant as a flame.

The carb is too small for a proper 400. It "might" work with tall , large port, tunnel ram style manifold but not the Torker.
A divider makes this worse by not letting the intake port "see" all four barrels.
Remove the divider.If you have to use the Torker add a 4 hole spacer.

The heads will make power to about 4500 and then level off . Add some 1.6 sbf rockers on the exhaust to help.

I got some stock ,as well as Performer ,manifolds if you are interested.That , along with a larger spreadbore carb , would make a good match.

What convertor and gear?

green79gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2011
Eugene,Ore
shotgun said:
b-wagon is correct , some of your build is mismatched , not meant as a flame.

The carb is too small for a proper 400. It "might" work with tall , large port, tunnel ram style manifold but not the Torker.
A divider makes this worse by not letting the intake port "see" all four barrels.
Remove the divider.If you have to use the Torker add a 4 hole spacer.

The heads will make power to about 4500 and then level off . Add some 1.6 sbf rockers on the exhaust to help.

I got some stock ,as well as Performer ,manifolds if you are interested.That , along with a larger spreadbore carb , would make a good match.

What convertor and gear?
the converter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2200-2600-Stall ... 5ae0134809
the gears 3.42
the 650 spread bore has been on both my 383 and 406 sbc circle track motors with a streetmaster intake
why would it be too small for my pontiac?
would this be a better cam?
MC1130 HYD 3 214 224 280 290 .443 .465 107 117 2000-4500 FAIR 951 B
the howards cam was in my 68 350 with #17 heads but had bought this one for the 400
and how much are you asking for a performer intake?
thanks this is my first pontiac engine been on the sbc trip

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!l0E6B0qR)twBOuN4C7w8g~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!l0E6B0qR)twBOuN4C7w8g~~60_12.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,161
  • streetmaster intake.jpg
    streetmaster intake.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,169

green79gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2011
Eugene,Ore
switched cams but the 67 400 doesn't line up where the 68 350 did but it could be just me

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Looks like a better choice of cam.
Pontiac needs exhaust help, so a 'split' cam is needed.

Not sure what you mean by 'line up"?

Rear gear is fine with a taller 27"+ tire.

A 400 will most likely put you at the high end of the stall range of that convertor.
I would like to see less convertor (2000/2300) but give what you got a shot.
I also have a trick to lower stall a bit if needed.

If interested, how does $125 to your door sound for the Performer?
Just needs mild port alignment and cut off the coolant crossover.

Use a 4 hole spacer , the tallest you can fit. May be tough, GPs are hood height limited.
I will tell you how to modify it also.

Would prefer to see a Q-jet but try what you got.

FYI ,the Torker was the "'worst named" manifold ever ,low rpm torque no, high rpm yes.
Also the step in the Torker is designed for a Q-jet use.

I ran a very similar combo that I put together with used parts that were laying around for my driver 70 LeMans Sport.

Low miles, cheap 400 rebuild pulled from customers car. Pistons were deep in the hole, very low compression.
Bone stock used 1970 #11 small valve heads
Performer with spacer and Q-jet
HEI with hotter coil and low resistence button
Cheap headers
Pypes 2 1/2 exhaust with x and dynomax turbo mufflers
A "one step up" from stock convertor (1800/2000 ???)
TH350 with mild shift kit
3.23 posi
275/60 15 tire

Car was a great street car , ran mid 13z at the track.

You would be atleast 500# lighter and have a point , maybe 2 points more compression.

Traction will be an issue. :mrgreen:

green79gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2011
Eugene,Ore
SHOTGUN :thanks for everything once again
will try the converter it was fairly cheap.
went with the mc 1130 cam because you said to use 1.6 rockers on exhaust
with the other cam.
I did know the torker was the worst manifold for a pontiac but it was $40
and was better than a cracked offy or the 2bbl. will get with you athe begining
of the month for the performer if thats ok.
will be running 275/60/15 tires, the low profile slicks (24x11.0x15)are for car show WOW effect.
the 650 spread bore holley has 70 pri jets 84 sec jets would the be too lean? I also have the q jet
from the 301 but it is a 79 smogger carb any thoughts?
thanks again mid 13's is where I am aiming for

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Reread my comments on the Torker. Not the worst, worst NAMED. Guess Horsepowerer does not roll off the tongue. :rofl:

It is good in the right application, just not what you are doing.

I would be carefull with that short of a slick , don't rev the crap out of it.

Stock should be good to 6k MAX depending on quailty of build.

I would stay below 5500 to be safe, you may find the car likes 5k shift point based on the build anyway. Did you do anything to the rods?

Can't give advice on the spread bore. I stay Q-jet until I get below the 12z, then go Dominator.

The Q-jet you might be a semi-rare 800CFM unit. Sell it on Epay.

Sent a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor