New car OnStar? Just say no!...Oh, wait, you can't. That's $1500 please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I read somewhere that BMW is offering a subscription to heat your front seats. Hate to get my buns frozen cause I didn't renew the monthly subscription.
According to CNN: "The heating coils and other hardware required to actually heat the seats are already in the car, but owners can, if they wish, pay a monthly fee to BMW which will allow them to actually work."

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
I rented a car a few years back that had Onstar ,my wife and I were on a road trip and were getting lost
I didn’t know what the onstar button was for , I assumed it was just a “help button” the way the clerk explained it
Well I pushed the button and a nice voice answered
I asked how do I get to “X” when I’m travelling on “Y”
The operator chuckled and said that’s not what this service is for …. But since I have you on the line let’s see what we can do for you !
I was embarrassed but they helped us out
We got where we were going

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I rented a car a few years back that had Onstar ,my wife and I were on a road trip and were getting lost
I didn’t know what the onstar button was for , I assumed it was just a “help button” the way the clerk explained it
Well I pushed the button and a nice voice answered
I asked how do I get to “X” when I’m travelling on “Y”
The operator chuckled and said that’s not what this service is for …. But since I have you on the line let’s see what we can do for you !
I was embarrassed but they helped us out
We got where we were going
Expect that $1500 USD Bill in the mail. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Back in the 80s, they didn't have all this BS on cars. They've slowly conditioned people to think that they "need" all this extra crap on their cars. Is it useful? Perhaps. You be your own judge on that. If you want to pay for it and use it, great. I'm not all that keen with it.

I have a phone with maps on it and navigational capabilities if I need it, and also a Garmin with lifetime map updates. Sure, the Caddy and GMC has all the bells and whistles, but meh, I've got BlondeStar only on the Caddy for the wife only because I want to make sure she is safe as possible when she's out by herself. 4 vehicles with OnStar capabilities would be a friggin' expensive deal for all 4. For me, fugg it. I don't want that sh*t.

I find it unbelievable when you call them and tell them not to extend the subscription. They want to offer great deals then because they don't want you to cancel, but won't give you any deal if you bend over and just renew it. So I usually just stop them mid-sentence and tell them no, just cancel it please. And they do.

To me, that unwanted mandatory option crap is like the BS the Olds dealership tried to do to me with the black 85 442. When it was delivery time, they said that it had this undercarriage rustproofing crap. Wait, I told them not to put that on, and now you want to charge me for it? Give you two options, scrape it off, or include it with the car. They gave it to me free. Could be what they'll do for idiots buying all these newer cars. Oh, yeah, ok, we'll just include it with the car, knock the 1500 off the price and you'll pay full sticker otherwise. They'll still win.
I was just thinking this. But now I'm convinced I need to sell off all my old, outdated junk for something new that has this 'must have' feature/s.

In the interim, I guess I need to really focus & make sure I'm only involved in a collision w/someone that has these services. If not, rescue help might never arrive to assist me since there are no pay phones anywhere/anymore. Same w/possibly getting lost & becoming stranded on the road.... I'm already astonished @ how much value I've overlooked :rolleyes: .

Gwarren79

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2018
Safford, AZ
I was working with a store manager who bought a new Avalanche in 2007, and his wife called and said she locked the key inside of it when she was at the mall. He told her that he would leave the store, go get the spare (30 min) and be to her after that (20min). He started to gather all of his things, and getting ready to leave - said "I will be back in a while, i have to take the spare key to the wife".

I told him, don't you have OnStar? Have them unlock it remotely. He had the deer in the headlights look.

After about 4 minutes on the phone with him, the Avalanche unlocked.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor