New coil, cap & rotor, 86 GP 305 dies 1/2 mile down road

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
So, the grimy cap, rotor, and coil were replaced in my 305. It's a 86 GP.

Started up fine and sounded tuned up. Then the engine cut out as I was driving it, as if all spark were removed. I took all the stuff off, put it back on (in case a connection wasn't right or something) and nothing. Towed it back. I put in the old coil, no spark.

One time I forgot to hook up the coil ground wire, and my car cut out a few months later. That coil was actually burned through, guess it made it's own ground. This time the coil looks fine.

Any ideas as to what spark-related parts may have fragged from changing this stuff out?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Pink ignition to coil wire? Getting 12 volts with ignition "ON".

86_olds

G-Body Guru
Jul 26, 2009
so cal
did u read the instructions i think that there was a ground wire did u hook that up i almost miss that wire when i did mine

78_oldcruiser

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2010
Seven Springs NC
sounds like you might have bought a bad coil. check your wires for burns, slight melting, and looseness. worse case is the ecu short. happened to my 91 buick and it was a ecu short

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
Bonnewagon said:
Pink ignition to coil wire? Getting 12 volts with ignition "ON".

Which pink wire? 1986 HEI with coil 'n cap set-up. The electric stuff I recall removing were the two plastic connectors that go into the cap and mate with the connectors from the ignition coil wire leads, they were plugged back in. One is for tach and ground I believe, and the other is battery.

I tried with the old coil on, and nothing. I'm going to put all the old stuff on tomorrow and see if it starts. If so, then either my new cap or rotor is junk. If not, then maybe something blew.

Do you think putting new shiny stuff on blew something out? My cap and rotor turned out to be really worn out after I looked at them, but the coil looks newer and the plug wires looked fine. What's the shiny soda-can looking thing under the rotor? Is that a capacitor? Could it frag with new juice? My service manual mentions a control module for the distributor. Is that known to blow out during a tune-up?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The battery wire is actually pink. Check for 12 volts and if so, the problem is inside the distributor, maybe the module.

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
I installed the old cap, rotor, and coil, and no spark. Here's my setup.

And, I tested the juice at the pink wire. It had juice, so something is fried.

normal_distributor.JPG

I think the black thing is the igntion control module. Are these known to blow out with new ignition parts? My book says the shiny can thing is the capacitor, do those zorch out?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The pick up coil could be toast, has done that to me. Did that to my Dad a couple of times too, just died. There is a resistance test you can do. The module could be done too.

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
olds307 and 403 said:
The pick up coil could be toast, has done that to me. Did that to my Dad a couple of times too, just died. There is a resistance test you can do. The module could be done too.

When you say this happened a couple times to you, do you mean in general or following a replacement of the coil, cap, and rotor?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well, the module hates heat, that's why they shmear dielectric grease under it so it can transfer the heat to the distributor base. Unusual for it to crap out during a tune-up, but not unheard of. As for the pickup, looks like it was changed by the nice yellow color on the connector. It is easy to disconnect and check for continuity, I can't recall the ohm value offhand. Sometimes the little wires break but stay touching inside the insulation. Then when you come along and touch it, they seperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor