New Cutlass owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyO

Apprentice
Dec 3, 2022
Thanks for the replies!

I don’t want to modify the car at all, but I need a modern stereo in it. Im thinking of using some drivers I have putting a 3 way set up front. Fiberglassing 6.5s in the kick panels, 4” mids in the dash and tweeters on the a pillars. Maybe a lower wattage sub just for fill. I’ve been searching on the site and haven’t came across any stereo builds. Im sure they are out there, but I’m looking at the wrong terms.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Nice! I like it. Someone took very good care of it.

It's hard to install stereo equipment in the car where you can get it back to "original" if needed. There's always some sort of modifications that you can't come back from. Not saying you would, but not everyone cares for major stereo mods on an otherwise stock car. It MAY negatively affect any resale value down the road is all.

Why not buy some pre-made 6.5 kick panels so you don't have to cut up your originals?

As far as tweeters, this guy made his own A-pillar mods.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Nice looking car! I've always had the "if it's gonna be a 4 door, it's gotta be a wagon" thought however, that is one clean ride. And yes, you will be the only one at the car shows with one like that.

TonyO

Apprentice
Dec 3, 2022
Nice! I like it. Someone took very good care of it.

It's hard to install stereo equipment in the car where you can get it back to "original" if needed. There's always some sort of modifications that you can't come back from. Not saying you would, but not everyone cares for major stereo mods on an otherwise stock car. It MAY negatively affect any resale value down the road is all.

Why not buy some pre-made 6.5 kick panels so you don't have to cut up your originals?

As far as tweeters, this guy made his own A-pillar mods.

I did search the classified for a set of original kick panels so I could save the originals. I’ve made dozens of fiberglass kick panel enclosures for myself and friends through the years, so it’s hard for me to buy pre made o es that will still need some fiberglass reinforcing on the back side.

As for the tweeters, I see there is a mounting screw roughly 6” up on the a pillar, I will be able to use that screw to mount the tweeter pods, but I will still need to drill a 1/8-3/16” hole for the wires to pass through. I know it’s not ideal, but if I decided to take them out I can plug the hole with a small push in and paint them to match.

I am also going to have to cut the radio bezel for a modern single din. I do not like the retro sound shaft style radios, they are way overpriced for what you are getting in my opinion. If I can score a used bezel to cut I would much rather do that. I haven’t seen any for sale though. There is a Malibu at the local junkyard, do their bezels interchange with these cars?

I plan to keep it as original as I can, but I will be driving it everyday except when there is snow on the ground. So I need to make the changes for me to be in it everyday.

QS442

Master Mechanic
Sep 20, 2011
DE
Malibu bezels are not interchangeable. I'm sure you can find another bezel out there so you don't have to cut your nice one up.

TonyO

Apprentice
Dec 3, 2022
Malibu bezels are not interchangeable. I'm sure you can find another bezel out there so you don't have to cut your nice one up.
Do the bezels just snap in? It looks like a flat piece of plastic.

I’ve been reading through endless tire threads because I’d like to change the wheels and tires out. Would a 245/40/17 be possible on the front? I’m looking at c4 vette wheels so I would have to run spacers. I’d rather run a 15” GM or a mag wheel, but they aren’t so easy to get. I also like 16” s10 wheels. The reason I ask about the 245/40/17 is that I found a great deal on wheels and tires locally to me. I’d jump in them if I knew the front wouldn’t rub. The rear is a 275/40/17 which is close and kinda small OD but for the price im willing to try them.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Bezels are a couple screws and pressure fit, can be a little hard to get out some times. 245/40/17 would work fine on the front, used them before and the 255's. 16" tires limit you on size, I'll check my dad's wagon for what size he runs, 16 x 8 all the way around on his slammed car. 275/40/17 is only 1" taller than the aforementioned 245.

245/40/17 front and 275/40/17 rear

Reactions: 2 users

TonyO

Apprentice
Dec 3, 2022
The tires look to fill the wheel wells nicely. That looks really good with the 17” rally wheels. The 17” I had found sold before I could get to them, which is fine because I’m not real keen on the idea of running spacers all around. I picked up a set of 15x7 aluminum mags for it. I figure I can run a 235/60 in the front and a 255/60 in the rear.

Picked the car up last night. Man it runs good, it’s been awhile since I’ve ridden in a 70s era rwd GM car. Plush is the best word to describe it lol. Everything feels good except the brakes slightly pulse. So I’ll change the rotors, wheel bearings and pads. Brakes hoses as well just for the peace of mind.

I have a plan for the stereo, I’m trying to use as much existing gear as I have. For the moment I don’t think I want to put a subwoofer in it, I will need to get a higher amp alt when I get to that point. I can pull the radio , and place this controller for my dayton dsp in place of it. I will put usb charging ports in place of the knobs. From my measurements I shouldn’t have to cut anything. I have a MB quart 3 way component set 6.5 mid bass/ 2.6 mid range/1 tweeter. I will fiberglass the kicks for the mid bass, place the mid range in the dash and the tweeters will go on the a pillar. I’m going to mount the amp, dsp and passive crossovers under the dash in the passenger footwell.

I think I can get a set of kicks from a local junkyard. So I should be able to save mine. I would really like to put a modern receiver in the dash but I don’t want to cut the bezel and I don’t like the idea of paying $100 for one.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Welcome, good pickup. Red isn't my cup of tea but is a nice looking car with a very clean interior. My stereo build is more of a what not to do to your car, hahaha

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
The radio faceplate / bezel has one push style (looks like a football) spring connector in each corner that pulls the plate into the console. They are attached to the face plate itself, no screws.

Like that car, very clean and well kept!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor