HELP New G-Body owner with questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIC

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2022
Murder City
Smaller wheel is harder turning if I remember correctly? 50’s-60’s wasn’t it a larger wheel for manual boxes?
It's a huge wheel. Like driving a bus.

Thank you for all the information.
Front End , I'm just looking for a complete package for more 1/4 Mile stuff. I'll drive the car, I just want to do it with good new parts.
Rear End. Bolt in 9" For a Gbody. Adjustable is good.

Reactions: 1 user

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Coil overs is not really an upgrade. It just moves the coil spring from axle to around the shock. The real benefit is easy to change coil (spring rate), coil position ( ride height) and usually comes with tunable shocks.

What front suspension do you have in mind. Not many set ups that truly save weight. Most are just for easy adjustment and some are a minor geometry change.

Use caution on the disc choices, there are many.

Battery in box is more than just moving the battery to the truck. There will be voltage lost in the long wire and to be NHRA legal, there needs to be a kill switch at the back of the car.

Smaller steering wheel does not change the ratio.
Scrounger tip for those battery cables:
BMW sedans, look for 5 series, more electrical stuff in them requires a bigger cable. Most of the ones I found were 1/0 or 2.0 gauge, but they’re in metric measurements on the tags. A coupe needs 2 cables to go the the firewall, on an Elco you should be good with one depending on where you mount the box.

Volvo wagons have a perfect length black cable for ground if you can find them, but these are a lower strand count VS the BMW cables and will have more resistance in line. They’re also a smaller wire gauge.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Scrounger tip for those battery cables:
BMW sedans, look for 5 series, more electrical stuff in them requires a bigger cable. Most of the ones I found were 1/0 or 2.0 gauge, but they’re in metric measurements on the tags. A coupe needs 2 cables to go the the firewall, on an Elco you should be good with one depending on where you mount the box.

Volvo wagons have a perfect length black cable for ground if you can find them, but these are a lower strand count VS the BMW cables and will have more resistance in line. They’re also a smaller wire gauge.
Based on what appears to be a decent budget I don't think he will have to scrounge for used battery cables, i have 1/0 throughout my Monte for power, grounds and alternator feed and I am running a DC Power 180 amp and have no issues maintaining 14 volts with everything on.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Based on what appears to be a decent budget I don't think he will have to scrounge for used battery cables, i have 1/0 throughout my Monte for power, grounds and alternator feed and I am running a DC Power 180 amp and have no issues maintaining 14 volts with everything on.
Just throwing it out there, plus most of those setups come with a main fuse box that uses a mega fuse, and a separate power take off right on the battery lug for anything else you might need.

Reactions: 3 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
My car (see Project Diesel No More in the Build threads) is not as high powered as you are aiming for, but I am pleased with the BMR suspension kit, and SSBC disk brake upgrades. Everything bolted right in with zero problems. For your use, you will probably want more adjustable shocks than the Bilsteins that come in the base kit, but the tubular BMR components will reduce weight, lower 1.5" and improve handling greatly.

Reactions: 3 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Couple other things I’ve been looking at with mine that you might get ideas from. From other peoples builds
65EB66D9-379B-4CED-8FCB-3297E8B613A1.jpeg
A252965C-42FE-47D2-B979-5BBD7F4CF975.jpeg

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor