New guy intro thread...

Feb 18, 2024
Hello everyone, I'm new here. My name is Ron. I am about to go on my "vice grip garage" journey to purchase a 1978 Chevy Malibu 2 door. This is going to be a 273 mile drive on a car that has just been started maybe twice a year for some years now. The car is 1 year older than I am but it seems to be in very decent running condition. A very good price too at $1,000. I have mostly only ever owned Chevrolet vehicles. I love working with these year models. My first car was a 1982 z28 Camaro so the engine is very familiar to me. I hope that I am worthy of anyone's time when I inevitably ask for some advice or just post updates. Thanks for having me here. Ron

Attachments

• 20240219_092427.jpg
    20240219_092427.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240219_092407.jpg
    20240219_092407.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: 6 users

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
Welcome to the forum.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Welcome aboard, I'm already a huge fan of this project just based on the premise. There are 3 1978 vehicles where I'm living: a Cutlass, an El Camino, and a Z-28 Camaro.

Check the brake hoses before driving it home!

Reactions: 1 users
Feb 18, 2024
Well everyone, the car made it home. There were no problems with the car mechanically. The problems were with me physically. I made stupid dietary choices. It took me over 12 hours for a 5 hour 25 minute trip because I didn't eat right. "let's just say I made some makeshift diapers" LOL So, after a rather concerning lack of hydration and a trip to the urgent care center I am mostly recovered now.

Thanks for the tip Sweet_Johnny. I didn't even check the brake hoses but it made it here. I know that the brake fluid reservoir and cap have been changed. I will check those hoses though as soon as possible.

I am fixing to change the oil plus filter and flush the cooling system. Carburetor does not work on a cold engine start and the previous owner showed me how much gas to dump in the carb to get it to fire up.

What else? Hmmm, ohh yeah, the gas guage is stuck at the halfway mark. The horn does not work. The reverse lights do not work. I have to pass inspection and then get registration. Hopefully the local police don't give me any problems until I have everything legal.

I can't afford any fines right now and I am going to be sleeping in the ground in a sleeping bag until I get a job. I knew it was going to be difficult coming back to the United States but my budget has already been 95% sacrificed. Anyway, I am back in my hometown and I am feeling a bit better physically.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Glad to hear that you and your car made it home safely! Now that we're getting older the type of fuel we choose seems to matter a bit more.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Welcome to the GBodyForum!
The '78 Malibu is my favorite Gbody. I like how the tail lights cut back at an angle. I'm excited for you Ron. The '78 Malibu was the first one I had and in the same color as yours. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures and and yours plans move forward. There is a crazy amount of knowledge here on this forum. No matter what you want to do to your ride, we have you covered. You have not only joined a GBodyForum, but a GBody Family.

P.S.
Please start your own thread as this intro thread was started by "RDO23".

Reactions: 2 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Welcome RDO23

You can get 17x8 American Racing Torque Thrust (and others) with 225/50ZR17 tires for about $1200 on TireRack (offset is zero or 4" backspace).

Of course, these are the wheels you *should* get: https://www.jegs.com/i/Year+One+Whe...erm=4581596253369212&utm_content=All Products

I bought this rear disk kit, but haven't installed it yet: https://www.inlinetube.com/products/dbk1012gb

Others use LS1 camaro (1998+) rear disks. Many of us use the front disk brakes from 2000 GMC Jimmy 2WD (not 4WD). The whole spindle comes off the Jimmy and bolts onto the g-body, brakes and all.

I've been told to use the 1998 C1500 1.125" bore master cylinder and a different combination valve when I do complete the rear disk project, although my friend is running the original master cylinder and proportioning valve with 4-wheel disks, against advice and likes it.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard Ron,
You scored well on the '78 Malibu purchase. It looks like a good solid start. Glad you made it all the way home. It was kind of risky driving a car that you knew nothing about mechanically and otherwise, besides of the known problems. Take care of yourself before delving into this project. Your health takes precedence over everything else.. Keep that in mind.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor