to the coil over guys

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
this is a post built off this post.

i was then anti coil over till looked into it i warmed up to the idea some. watched many videos of installs & so on. several questions to those that have done it and been driving a few yrs on them. keep in mind this is not a drag car and more or less a regular driver.

* what if any maintenance is there post install?

* i seen said factory style A arms aren't strong enough? i have no interest in tubulars due to $ and the poly bushings.

* i was going to replace A arms anyway what factory style brand did you go with bushings & balljoints? i can only find acdelco uppers no lowers everywhere.

* i seen someone say here they had to get 2" drop spindles to get desired height as did this guy cuz was too high. i left him a msg and never got a answer as to how that could happen. i have it set to start @ 8 min.

* on the rear where the coil shock attaches to top, mental looks flimsy from what i could see, is there bracing needed?

* what brand do you have and are there any regrets?

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I've seen gussets that go in the factory lower control arm to help support the weight of the car on the shock mount.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I have RideTech. I didn't need drop spindles. I haven't touched them since they were installed. Don't skimp. Buy once, cry once. RideTech shocks are made by Fox and have a million mile warranty. You can't use stock lower control arms with coil overs. Rear metal is fine, it already supports the springs, you're just moving the load.
FB_IMG_1695778470460.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
this is a post built off this post.

i was then anti coil over till looked into it i warmed up to the idea some. watched many videos of installs & so on. several questions to those that have done it and been driving a few yrs on them. keep in mind this is not a drag car and more or less a regular driver.

* what if any maintenance is there post install?

* i seen said factory style A arms aren't strong enough? i have no interest in tubulars due to $ and the poly bushings.

* i was going to replace A arms anyway what factory style brand did you go with bushings & balljoints? i can only find acdelco uppers no lowers everywhere.

* i seen someone say here they had to get 2" drop spindles to get desired height as did this guy cuz was too high. i left him a msg and never got a answer as to how that could happen. i have it set to start @ 8 min.

* on the rear where the coil shock attaches to top, mental looks flimsy from what i could see, is there bracing needed?

* what brand do you have and are there any regrets?
I’ve got UMI’s rear shock tower brace installed in my G Body with my coil overs

Reactions: 2 users

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
I have RideTech. I didn't need drop spindles. I haven't touched them since they were installed. Don't skimp. Buy once, cry once. RideTech shocks are made by Fox and have a million mile warranty. You can't use stock lower control arms with coil overs. Rear metal is fine, it already supports the springs, you're just moving the load. View attachment 236381
i have done a ton of research since posting this, i've seen and questioned many that used stock lower control arms with coilovers even a few yrs after video posted, they said no issues however i see out there alden makes plates for that area for like $60 and seen only 2 vids using them funny enough i posted 1 and his front needed drop spindles. lol so im debating the plates. my car will not be doing any track & is bout a 200hp 350 and would love to hear from someone who did that combo and it failed.

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
Another item worth considering is a rear frame rail brace which will tie the rails together and minimize movement.
Scot W at GNS Performance offers this kit and really tightens up the rear of the frame

might be much for what i have but i like the idea.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm new to coil overs, but I'm going with them for the front.

I'm using these reinforcement plates with stock lower arms and TRZ uppers.

Regarding the coilovers, you can get a spring that goes in the stock spring pocket in the frame that won't require modification to the shock bolt area. Here is a kit that UMI sells : https://www.umiperformance.com/home...ront-coil-over-kit-double-adjustable-bearing/

I can't say this style spring is better, good or bad. But I'm about to find out lol.

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor